The Longhouse at Threave
Kelton, Castle Douglas, Scotland
- A giant bubbling hot tub for all the family perfect for lazy afternoons and starstruck nights.
- Based on the traditional west coast longhouse design from stellar architects Hebridean Homes with gigantic glass windows to gaze across Galloway.
- Your own personal games room with pool table and tennis table adjacent to The Longhouse.
Good To Know
- Meet Bumble Bee and Bramble the cute Longhouse Shetland ponies at the paddock at the bottom of the garden; for this reason they are the only pets who can stay at Longhouse
- The garden at Longhouse is totally secure perfect for families who want to relax while on holiday.
- Open plan layout with large 42" smart TV and wifi for movie nights and family viewing.
- Free fishing on a stretch of the River Dee; salmon pike and trout have been bagged only 400 metres from your door!
- There's a thoughtful Longhouse welcome pack on arrival of butter milk, juice and a botttle of fizz to enjoy in the hot tub.
- Choose from an exciting mixture of cafes and tearooms, restaurants and pubs all within easy reach by car. The owners take pride in assisting guests with info on local eateries and farm food produce from the area.
- Threave Castle stronghold of the Black Douglasses built in the 14th C. Little adventurers will love pulling the little bell on a rope signalling the boatman to cross from the island and collect you!
- Sweetheart Abbey, Historic Scotland - a true romance story where Lady Dervorgilla embalmed her husbands heart and carried it with her in an ivory cask.
- Galloway Activity Centre for sailing, windsurfing, Kayaking, Canoeing, Laser Quest. Visit Cream O' Galloway visitor Centre and dont miss out on its famous ice cream.
- The Cocoabean Company for chocolate interactive creations, watching choclateirs at work.
- Take stunning forest walks at Dalbeattie Forest or Clatteringshaws Loch with their feral goats roaming the hills.
With breathtaking glass panoptical views across the rolling Galloway countryside, inspired by the traditional West Coast longhouse, this gorgeous Hebridean Homes property with large outdoor hot tub will leave you breathless.
For a superb re-connection to nature as well as a myriad of leisure activities, walks, fishing and history all within easy reach and only a mile from your nearest village this exquisite cottage with extensive views over the Galloway hills offers a peaceful location with impeccable style. Take a stroll down a quiet lane and you'll step back into tranquil countryside with sprawling fields and paintbox perfect landscape.
Blending seamlessly into the countryside The Longhouse has the appearance of a traditional Scottish long byre, but with all the high-end design detail one would expect of a contemporary sustainable exciting new build. Designed by sought after Scottish architects Dualchas, finalists in Architect of the Year to embrace the "infinity views" over the Screel and Ben Gairn hills to the south east, Barstobrick Hill and Neilson's Monument to the south west of the property.
Wake up to sunfilled rooms with floor to ceiling glass windows and double height vaulted ceilings and pad across warm solid oak wood underfloor heating floors. Throw open the large windows and step onto your patio for a spot of barbequing with fresh local produce bought from the local farm shops in the surrounding villages. As night draws in you can gather the family round the wood burning stove in the living area or pour yourself a glass of fizz and step into the large outdoor hot tub on its own private patio for a starlight soak.
On the upper floor two large bedrooms, one double and one twin bedded room with
spacious fitted wardrobes and crisp linens enjoy a magnificent outlook over the
Galloway Hills. There is also a guest's shower room on the upstairs floor. The
ground floor has a large double en suite bedroom with fitted wardrobes and a
cool bunkroom with fitted wardrobes for two. There's a further shower facility
and bath, spacious utility room complete with washing machine and condensing
tumble drier. Foodies will love the spacious, double height open plan kitchen,
dining and relax/living area with 42" Smart TV. The kitchen has a built in large
single oven, integrated microwave oven, dishwasher and fridge freezer.
You''ll be forgiven for falling for the two permanent residents grazing peacefully in the paddock at the bottom of the garden, two Shetland ponies, Bumble Bee and Bramble.
Walking, cycling, fishing, horse-riding, water sports, archery, tag laser, cream of Galloway visitor centres, museums are just a few of days out you can experience from your base at the Longhouse. In the market town of Castle Douglas you can while away an afternoon in the independent local shops from butchers to antique furniture stores, boutiques, craft and gift shops, a chocolatier or the local Sulwath brewery.The Longhouse couldn't be better located to take in all the attractions while offering a relaxing base to come home to each day.
Nearby, the ruins of Threave Castle sit beside the river Dee and there's the added fun of crossing the river in the tiny ferryboat where you have to ring the bell pull for the ferryman to come and collect you.
Challenge family and friends to a game of table tennis or pool in the adjacent games room or enjoy free fishing in the River Dee, about 400m from the house. Cycle the quiet roads or the more challenging mountain bike trails which are part of the 7 Stanes seven mountain biking centres spanning the south of Scotland - bring your own bikes or hire locally.
A leisurely start with 4pm arrivals on a Friday and flexibility for alternative arrival days during mid and low season. Departure is at 10am. Short breaks of 3 and 4 nights are available in low season on request.
5 Star Guests Comments
"I have had a lovely 80th Birthday with all my family. The house is lovelyalso the hot tub. We all loved Bumblebee" - Dunfermline
"We had an absolutely fantastic time yet again on our second visit here. We now plan on making this an annual event as we enjoy it so much"- Stranraer
"We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Lovely house - light, bright, plenty of space and clean." - Dumfries
"Been all over UK and the world and this place is as good as any we have stayed in. High quality interior with great outdoor space and of course...the ponies!!"- Piron
"Lovely house and location." - West Yorkshire
"What a fabulous house and amazing setting - so peaceful we had everything we needed it was perfect. The views are to die for and the sunsets sublime .. we'll be back!" - Ann and Martin.
"A lovely week with wonderful weather. The house was great and the added bonus of the hot tub was appreciated. Bumblebee kept us entertained too!" - Lancashire
"This is a perfect location for a big family holiday - so well kitted out, can't wait to come back." - Colin and Gillian