- Recently built and gorgeous finishes throughout to a very high standard.
- Floor to ceiling windows in the rooms look directly out to sea.
- We love that the master bedroom has three metre sliding doors, letting the outside in.
- All windows have electric blinds which can be remotely operated.
- Wellbeing facilities include a hot tub and authentic Finnish sauna looking out towards the sea and up to the stars.
- Ultra-modern kitchen complete with coffee machine and Caple wine cooler.
- Enjoy sleeping on Egyptian cotton bedlinen and relaxing with bespoke Harris Tweed soft furnishings.
Good To Know
- Captain's Rest is an ideal base from which to explore the Isle of Skye.
- Located in the rural township of Roag which is on the outskirts of Dunvegan.
- Children over 12 years are most welcome and a travel cot is available for babes in arms but the property is not equipped for toddlers or younger children.
- Pet free property.
- World-renowned restaurant, The Three Chimneys is a 10 minute drive from Captain's Rest.
- Set in a 16th century hunting lodge, the casual fine dining restaurant Edinbane Lodge is around 15 minutes' drive away.
- In nearby Dunvegan there are several options including The Old School restaurant and The Dunvegan. Also in Dunvegan The Misty offers take away food.
- Take your relaxation to the next level with included cocktail making equipment, champagne bucket, and spa safe drinking glasses.
- Amenities in the village of Dunvegan include a petrol station, fruit shop, cake shop, small grocery store and a bakery that sell the best rolls on the island!
- Ideal location to explore the island and enjoy the views, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking within the vicinity, to suit all abilities.
- Dunvegan Castle and Gardens is nearby which has café and operates short seal boat trips.
- The Giant Angus MacAskill museum is a small, unique place to visit in Dunvegan
- Skyeskyns at nearby Waternish is Scotland's only traditional exhibition tannery. where you can enjoy a tour and browse the high-quality products in the showroom, refreshments are available in the coffee yurt.
- Pony trekking is available at The Isle of Skye Trekking Centre in Suledale which is around a 25 minute drive away.
- ACE Target Sports near Portree offers archery, axe throwing, air rifle shooting and clay target shooting.
- Whitewave is a little further afield but offers outdoor activities such as kayaking.
- Skye Adventure offers local guides for mountain climbing, canyoning or coasteering as well as a range of other activities.
- Bikes are available to hire from Skye Bike Shack at Skeabost Bridge near Portree and there are also several boat trips run from Portree.
- Take a stroll through the wildflower gardens and feel your soul reinvigorate as you reconnect with the beautiful Skye countryside.
An exquisite highland Crofter's Cottage with hot tub, Finnish sauna and spectacular views of the Cuillin mountain range, MacLeod's Tables and the small isles of Rum and Canna; a relaxing break and base for exploring outdoor pursuits.
Step inside Captain's Rest
Newly constructed and finished to an incredibly high standard, Captain's Rest is modern and luxurious throughout whilst acknowledging the stunning location by the inclusion of floor to ceiling windows to all rooms with front facing sea view, an indoor spa consisting of authentic Harvia Finnish sauna which gives ready access to the outdoors and hot tub from which to take in the heart-stopping scenery. The incredible views from the property look out to sea, to the Cuillin Hill mountains, MacLeod's Tables and beyond to the small isles of Rum and Canna; Newly built and extremely spacious with plenty of modern features such as the Bose smart speaks that have been installed in the kitchen and lounge and there is underfloor heating throughout the property. The kitchen is beautifully fitted with azure cabinetry to reflect the colours of the Island's sky and both the kitchen and dining room are dominated by the huge windows, making guests a pleasure to cook for. The kitchen is fully equipped with modern appliances with delightful additions such as the Lavazza coffee machine, milk frother and a Caple wine cooler.
The bedrooms are completed with bespoke Harris Tweed soft furnishings in a palette to compliment the surrounding landscape. The master bedroom has a king-size bed and the second bedroom can be arranged as either a twin room or a super king size. The two bedrooms are dressed with Egyptian Cotton, both have smart flat-screen TVs and both have stylish en-suite bathrooms complete with Grohe rainfall power showers and finished with luxury Highland Soap toiletries and waffle bathrobes for guests to use during their stay. The sumptuous interior allows guests to relax and take in the surrounds whilst immersed in luxurious modern comforts. Enjoy the sauna and hot tub whatever the weather. Outside, the immediate garden area is paved to the front with a lawned grassy area and the perimeter is croft land with wildflowers and grasses. Take breakfast alfresco or enjoy a pre-dinner drink on the outdoor furniture as the everchanging light plays on the seascape before you.
The Beautiful Isle of Skye
There' s no better place to base yourself than Captain's Rest which makes all there is in Skye readily accessible if you bring your own vehicle. Why not venture out to the nearby Coral Beaches to enjoy a wild swim in the crystal clear waters where the gulf stream makes the experience invigorating but a little less chilly than normal Scottish water temperatures. Those who enjoy walking can easily head out to the MacLeod's Tables or Maidens which are amongst the many places to explore locally. The cottage is situated in the small, rural township of Roag which is on the outskirts of the village of Dunvegan. Dunvegan Castle and Gardens, the home of the MacLeod Clan, is nearby and is worthy of a visit. The Misty Isle as it is affectionately known is rich in history with dinosaur fossils, clan warfare, highland clearances, Jacobite rebellion and made famous by the escape of Bonnie Prince Charlie with Flora Macdonald after his defeat at Culloden in 1745. A great destination for wildlife watching with the white-tailed sea eagle at the top of bird watchers' lists. Otters, seals, whales, dolphins and red deer are just some of the other impressive creatures that can be seen on and around the Isle of Skye. Home of the MacCrimmons, the ancient masters of the bagpipes, the island is home to Clan MacDonald and Clan MacLeod both having their Clan Castles on the island. Wave a magic fairy flag, stumble upon the fairy pools, take a day trip to St. Kilda or a glimpse into the life of The Giant MacAskill at his tiny but dedicated museum.
For soul soothing relaxation, reconnection with nature and each other, Captain's Rest offers the perfect Isle of Skye luxury stay you have been searching for.
The Isle of Skye is easily accessible by road via the Skye Road Bridge or alternatively via the Mallaig - Armadale ferry, but please make sure you book in advance as Satnav will direct you via ferry unnecessarily, it's wise to plan your route ahead of travel. If you fancy a more laidback crossing onto the island, take the Glenelg Skye ferry the last manually operated turntable ferry in operation and also featured in the film Maid of Honor. From Kyle of Lochalsh, Roag is approximately a 45-minute drive.
Weekly rates from £1050 (Saturday to Saturday)
Short lets can sometimes be available (3 night minimum). Please enquire regarding availability on the link above.
Guest Comments :
"Captain's Rest, Hot tub outside in January followed by a sauna certainly made the stay amazing. The breathtaking scenery can be taken in without even getting out of bed! Can't wait for my next visit."
"An outstanding location to stay and marvel at the Cuillin Mountains in the distance and the wild untamed sea on your doorstep.