Fearnach Bay House, Melfort, By Oban
Melfort, By Oban, Argyll, Scotland
- Set in a few hundred acres of a private estate with your own private shoreline out front.
- Integrated digital sound system for effortless streaming of music to all rooms including the bathroom.
- Between the months of April and October guests can enjoy complimentary use of the house dinghy for fishing on the loch.
- BBQ and large patio area for outside dining and guests relaxation.
Good To Know
- Complete Sky Sports Package for guests use.
- Secure ample parking on site.
- Underfloor heating throughout.
- Complimentary wifi.
- Sorry no pets, as the estate is also a private working hill farm.
- Dine out within easy walking distance at the Shower of Herring Restaurant.
- Within easy driving distance there are hotels that offer evening meals.
- Fresh Argyll shellfish can be bought locally and Oban is known as the Seafood Capital of Scotland. Watts Fishmongers in Oban offer daily catch fresh shellfish and seafood which can be bought and cooked at home.
- Fearnach Bay has beautiful walking on the estate, with The Melfort hills situated right behind you.
- 2 sea lochs on the estate with complimentary fishing for guests and rods available for guests use.
- Built in 1897 McCaigs Tower in Oban offers stunning views across Oban bay to the Atlantic Islands.
- Fast exhilarating boat rides shouldn't be missed where you can witness the spectacular force of nature known as Corryvreckan whirlpool and inquisitive sealife, seals, porpoises, dolphins and seabirds.
- Basking shark Scotland is the No1 worldwide operator to the biggest basking shark hotspot out of Oban, between April and October.
- Achnalarig Riding Stables, Sea Kayak Oban, Coastal Connections, Oban Distillery and Calmac for island hopping.
- World-renowned championship golf course at Machrihanish and two courses 18 hole course at Oban and the 9 hole course on Seil island (both within half an hours drive away).
You can't help feeling utterly spoiled with the attention to detail and gorgeous furnishings at every turn in Fearnach Bay House.
A beautifully private setting
Set in a privately owned working hill farm your stay is totally private and the most relaxing base from which to explore this beautiful location. Enjoying a southerly aspect perfect for those mesmerising West coast sunsets and superbly located with The Melfort Hills behind you and uninterrupted views across the nearby islands of Scarba, Luing, Jura and Islay.
Sleeping 7 guests with room for an extra guest bed by prior arrangement, Fearnach Bay House has 4 bedrooms comprising two doubles (both en-suite) and a twin bedded room which shares a luxury bathroom with an elegant single room. All bedrooms are south facing with gorgeous views to wake up to. The ground floor master double bedroom has its own en-suite wet room with unrestricted wheelchair access. A sofa bed is located on the spacious upstairs landing and can be cleverly curtained off for privacy for one extra in your party when required. It also doubles as a private snug for quiet reading time, painting or drawing.
Elsewhere comfort is equally uncompromised, from the solid French oak flooring in the open plan sitting/dining room, to the large basket of logs to fuel the welcoming log burning stove.The under floor heating is provided by an eco friendly air source heat pump which collects the natural warmth from beneath the earth's surface and heats each of the downstairs rooms to just the right temperature, ensuring a cosy welcome as soon as you step in the door.
Guests will find a large 40" flat screen Satellite TV & Sky package, for entertainment with a selection of thoughtfully provided DVD films for guests use. The house has an integrated digital sound system with IPlayer docking stations in all main rooms and bedrooms allowing you to effortlessly stream your music from your iplayers to any of the main rooms in Fernach Bay House including the bathrooms.
The house has a well equipped kitchen with induction hob, electric cooker, microwave, dish washer, American cabinet fridge/freezer, drink chilling cabinet, washing machine and tumble dryer. There's also a utility room, which provides just the right spot to hang outdoor gear and store shoes and boots.
Superb fishing opportunities
Guests have complimentary use of a rowing dinghy between the months of April to October which can be launched from the slipway directly in front of the house, providing guests with the perfect opportunity for some fishing. There are also 2 spinning rods supplied with tackle for guests use. Being part of a private estate, guests have complimentary trout fishing on one of the estate lochs and fishing on a further twelve lochs is available in the vicinity (permits can be purchased at the local Post Office). Life jackets, fishing rods and tackle are all supplied at no extra charge for use when fishing or using the boat.
Outside there is an extensive patio area with solid teak seating and outdoor barbecue for guests to enjoy with all the equipment you require for alfresco dining with friends. The property remains strictly no smoking but a covered porch area at the back door provides excellent shelter in inclement weather. Fearnach Bay House is also conveniently within walking distance of the renowned "Shower of Herring" restaurant for an evening meal with family and friends when you want to sit back, relax and be totally looked after.
A haven for wildlife
The estate is a haven for wildlife and there are many tracks and pathways just waiting to be explored on foot, taking you along the shore, through the woods and over the hills. At the end of your day you can relax in front of the log fire, sink into the luxurious sofas and enjoy a cosy night in.
The world-renowned championship golf course at Machrihanish is just over an hours drive from Fearnach Bay House and there are two courses nearby; the challenging 18 hole course at Oban and the 9 hole course on Seil island (both within half an hours drive away). Beautiful deserted beaches and wide rolling hills are just waiting to be explored and what better way to experience the hills of mid Argyll but on horseback, with horse riding available locally.
For the more adventurous visit the thrilling Corrievreckan whirlpool (the third largest whirlpool in the world) a wild playground for nature. Catch sightings of grey seals, red deer and golden eagles or visit one of the spectacular gardens of Argyll.
Gateway to the Highlands
Oban is the gateway to the Highlands and is also the main port from which ferries sail to many of the islands of the Inner Hebrides: Iona, Mull, Staffa and Fingal's Cave, all within easy reach for day excursions. From your base at Fearnach Bay House you can be as adventurous and active as you like, or simply choose to stroll the shoreline, fish, read or relax in one of Scotland's most peacefully private settings.
Guests Comments :
"Five Star Scotland - Fantastic property in a superb location.
"The house was warm, very clean and fully stocked with everything you could need - the little rowing boat on the Loch was a nice additional touch. Given the time of year, we were 'lucky' enough to eat lunch on the very sunny patio whilst also making use of the log burner at night!"
"Perfect - stunning location, beautifully presented and comfortable. Fearnach Bay is really well equipped and the owners are very helpful."
"Spacious, Comfortable and warm house with wonderful views -This is our second stay at Fearnach Bay House, and it did not disappoint second time around. It is beautifully kept by the owners, and is spacious, warm and extremely comfortable. The kitchen is beautifully equipped and there is plenty of room to dry wet clothes and shoes in the adjoining washroom. In fact it has everything you need after a long scottish walk in the rain or a spell on a boat visiting the nearby islands."
"A Truly Special House and Site -Fearnach Bay House far exceeded our expectations, though previous
reviews were all glowing. It is a lovely, tasteful, comfortable house
with all the amenities that could be wished for. When
it rained, reading in the sitting area with a fire burning in the fireplace, looking out at the loch was a fine substitute for a planned outing. There was a nice sense of privacy, yet it did not feel remote. Jenny and Rory were very kind and helpful."
Weekly Rentals :
Fearnach Bay House is available from 5pm on day of arrival to 10am on departure day.
Weekly rental rates £1350 - £2200 per week.
Electricity and logs for the fire are included. Deposit 20% of rental to confirm booking (non refundable in event of cancellation).
Please kindly note the property is unable to accept dogs as the estate is also a private working hill farm.