Corsewall Estate High Clachan Farmhouse
Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland
- A traditional Galloway Farmhouse beautifully presented inside and out.
- Freestanding baths and two original Victorian feature fireplaces.
- Private location entirely surrounded by open famland yet close to sandy beaches.
- Spacious inside with a large dining table and charming restored church pew seating.
- Cosy log burning stoveand large conservatory with a great social space for either dining, playing family games or relaxing with a book.
Good To Know
- Fuel and all logs are provided free of charge.
- Guests have access to the nearby grounds and woodland at Corsewall Estate where there is a dedicated children's fun zone with 60 foot zip wire, climbing frame with climbing wall, lookout house with binoculars to spot pirates/baddies, a very whizzy slide, three swings, including one for toddlers and a terrific back to back glider.
- There's a camp fire area in the woods - perfect for toasting marshmallows and a spare two man tent which children can pitch in the woods for an outside night adventure if they choose.
- Cot and high chair available on request.
- Up to 2 well behaved dogs on request (surcharge applicable).
- Wifi throughout.
- In house catering on request with a local professional chef who can provide delicious meals delivered to your door by prior request.
The Blue Peter Pub in the village of Kircolm nearby offers good pub grub.
Campbell's serves superb seafood. Tigh na Mara in Sandhead has an extensive menu and is reasonably priced.
For a fine dining treat, try Knockinaam Lodge near Portpatrick or Glenapp Castle, near Ballantrae, which are both Michelin listed.
The Bay House restaurant offers quality food with great views up Loch Ryan and over Corsewall Estate. Visit the Old Colfin Creamery - fabulous cafe and bistro just outside Portpatrick.
- A thoughtful welcome pack is provided for guests on arrival including a jar of home-made Corsewall brownies, milk, bread, jam, butter, tea, coffee and fresh flowers from the garden (when in season).
- Two of The 7Stanes mountain biking centres - Kirroughtree and Glentrool are close by.
- The Galloway Forest Park offers three visitor centres close to Newton Stewart.
- Ayrshire Coastal Path - Skelmorlie to the north to Glenapp in the south. There is also the Southern Upland Way and number of pretty walking tracks around the Corsewall Estate.
- Logan Botanic Garden is the Royal Botanic Gardens most southernly outpost with many tropical plants and species.
- The RSPB nature reserve at the Mull of Galloway, the southern most point of Scotland, is home to an amazing variety of birds.
- Visit Culzean Castle and Dumfries Hous just up the coast in Aysrhire or with Ireland on the doorstep, take a day return ferry trip to the Emerald Isles.
- For golfers there is the Portpatrick Dunskey Golf Club, Stranraer Golf Club, Wigtownshire County Golf Club as well as Turnberry and Troon, the championship golf courses further up the coast.
- For children, visit the Cocoa Bean Chocolate Factory amazing chocolate workshops (kids only!) and for those looking for an adrenaline shot from zip wiring to zorbing, book an activity or two at Laggan Outdoors.
Stay in Victorian splendour, this traditional Galloway farmhouse offers a luxury holiday stay for up to 8 surrounded by peaceful open farmland and the perfect escape from it all.
High Clachan Farmhouse
Entering the cottage on the left, there is a large sitting room, with a cosy log burning stove, furnished with a large corner sofa, various arm chairs and a flat screen television with DVD player. The spacious dining kitchen has large dining table with charming restored church pews as seating. Leading off the kitchen is a large south-facing conservatory with beautiful rural views of the rolling Wigtownshire countryside. With armchairs, an additional dining table and chairs, guests can either choose to eat here, relax and take in the view, or play board games.
There is a large master bedroom with a king size bed on the ground floor with pretty rural views to the south and north and an en suite bathroom with a bath and a separate shower. Next door is a further bedroom with a full sized bunkbed, which is ideal if you want the children close by. Upstairs, there are two generous bedrooms, which have zip and link beds so can either be made up as twin or double (super king) beds. Full of character, these bedrooms each have the original fireplaces. Both bedrooms have large en suite bathrooms with Victorian style free standing baths for a touch of added luxury, in addition to separate showers and under floor heating. There is also an additional house bathroom upstairs, with a bath and overhead shower.
Located in the country about a mile to the north of the village of Kirkcolm, the Farmhouse is seven miles from Stranraer in south west Scotland with the pretty beaches of Lady Bay and Port Beg just a short walk away.
There's great walking down beside Loch Ryan and around Wig Bay and The Scar - a circular walk along Loch Ryan shoreline and back into the village of Kirkcolm. The Scar, a sandbank which juts out into Loch Ryan, is home to one of the largest colonies of nesting migrant terns in the region. From an historical perspective, during the Second World War, Wig Bay, was used as a base for the flying Catalina boats - you'll see evidence of this on your walk and also throughout the woods at Corsewall Estate, which was requisitioned by the Royal Canadian Air Force during the War.
Swallows and Amazons style adventures
There's lots to keep children and little ones busy on the estate. A short drive away or a pleasant walk from High Clachan Farmhouse children and adults alike can enjoy the woodland and grounds of Corsewall Estate. You'll find a dedicated children's fun zone with 60 foot zip wire, which has been well tested by children (and some adults) alike. Next door, there's also a climbing frame, which comes complete with a climbing wall, lookout house with binoculars to spot pirates/baddies, a very whizzy slide, three swings, including one for toddlers and a terrific back to back glider. Additionally, kids can bounce to their heart's content on the 14 foot trampoline on the edge of the lawns. There's a camp fire area in the woods - perfect for toasting marshmallows. The owners can also let guests have the use of have a two man tent, which you are free to pitch in the woods so children can have an outside night adventure and get closer to the great outdoors. For smaller children, there's a wendy house with a toy cooker and lots of picnic/cooking paraphernalia and a pretty veranda. A stream runs through the estate, so with two stone bridges and an endless supply of sticks, Pooh sticks is always a fun game for children to enjoy.
The house is 3/4s of a mile down a quiet country lane from Port Beg - one of the Estate's three beaches on the sea loch of Loch Ryan. Port Beg is a pretty bay, pebbly down to the waterline and then sandy in the sea - ideal for paddling and swimming. There are lots of rock pools - so a bucket and a net is a must for the kids! There's a grassy area for picnics and barbies and the views out to sea, with Ailsa Craig in the foreground and Arran in the distance, are simply magical. Lady Bay and Boat Bank are the two other beaches on Corsewall Estate that guests at High Clachan can explore. Both of these are wonderful if you like collecting shells or pebbles - oyster shells and mussels to cowries and scallop shells never fail to disappoint. Bird watching down on the shores of Loch Ryan or in the woods is second to none. High Clachan has a huge lawn in front of the house - so it's a secure place for children to play football or for a game of croquet - croquet set supplied! There are lots of walks around the farmhouse to enjoy.Other Information
The cottage is equipped with a flat screen television, Freeview Box, digital radio, WiFi, a selection of board games, books and classic films. The beds come with super thick, feather-filled duvets, all bed linen and large fluffy towels. It also has a dishwasher, washing machine, fridge, freezer, hob and electric oven.
The owners thoughtfully provide a welcome pack for guests on arrival including a jar of incredibly edible, home-made Corsewall brownies, milk, bread, jam, butter, tea, coffee and fresh flowers from the garden (when in season). You'll find the cottage well equipped with the general basics too from washing up liquid and bin bags to washing powder and loo roll.
The Blue Peter pub in the village of Kirkcolm is a couple of minute's drive and serves good pub grub.
The owners have five properties in Galloway, with High Clachan Farmhouse about 3/4s of a mile from the other cottages which comprise of Home Farm Cottage (sleeps 5), Stables Cottage (sleeps 4) and Garden Cottage (sleeps 6) all being near each other, so groups of up to 15 can easily be accommodated between the three properties for family gatherings or birthday celebrations.
Rates : From £365 per week or from £230 for a three night break. Please kindly note there is a small pet surcharge applicable if bringing up to 2 pets with you.
"Excellent accommodation - could not fault it. Everything a family could need for a relaxing holiday. A spacious well equipped house nestled just outside Kirkcolm. Beds comfy and bathrooms spacious. Kate and Angus the owners make sure you have all you need for an enjoyable stay.
"What a lovely stay in such a comfortable house with all the creature comforts you could possibly need for a week in the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway. We have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the estate and countryside - finding beautiful empty beaches - except for the odd seal. Angus, Kate and family have been very hospitable and we all look forward to coming back v soon. Thank you!"Scilla and Richard, Yorkshire, October 2015
"Thank you so much Kate and Angus for your warm welcome and sharing your estate with us. We were lairds for a week."
"We all had a fabulous time and will I am sure be back looking to stay at one of your properties. We have stayed in many places in Scotland and the accommodation you offer is of the highest standard we have come across - felt like staying in a hotel - just needed someone to make me breakfast in bed - need to train my husband or the boys better!"