- This traditional Victorian school house has been superbly renovated to provide a large luxury family beach house for families.
- Overlooks several miles of sandy beach.
- Stunning views from all windows.
- Large open fireplace perfect for family gatherings.
Good To Know
- Wi-Fi throughout.
- Secure parking on site.
- Up to two well behaved pets are welcome by prior arrangement, (small pet surcharge applies).
- Short stays of 3 days or longer are available.
- Ideal family home, cot and highchair provided.
- Fully secure and secluded garden.
- For dining out, book an evening meal at the local restaurant Tigh -Na-Mara just a 5-minute stroll from The Auld Schoolhouse; open for lunches and evening meals.
- Visit Woodlea Tearoom serving cakes and bakes which is a great spot for lunch.
- There are local shops where guests can replenish supplies or pick up any last minute items.
- Get yourself along to Sandhead beach where there is seven miles of sand out front to enjoy on your doorstep.
- On the path of the acclaimed September Wigtown Book Festival Trail ideal for book lovers with great coffee stops.
- See the puffin colonies nesting on the cliffs, Mull of Galloway most southerly point.
- Visit Mull of Galloway Lighthouse.
- Head to the Galloway Forest Park (one of the largest in the UK).
- Over 30 gardens to visit, Logan Botanics 5 miles, Logan House Gardens, Ardwall Gardens, Castle Kennedy Gardens, Lochinch Castle, Glenwhan Gardens.
- Visit Port Logan (film location for the BBC drama '2000 acres of Skye".
- Spring Fling offers over 50 artist studios to the public.
- Dunskey Castle is a stunning location and if time permits try a walk along the cliff point from the castle to Portpatrick.
- Enjoy a day out at the Stranraer Oyster Festival.
An elegant Victorian Schoolhouse
Celebrate in style in this grand 19th-century Scottish schoolhouse minutes from the beach overlooking the seashore, where families will enjoy coming together for special gatherings. This elegant Victorian school house, is situated in the peaceful village of Sandhead, right on the sandy shores of Luce Bay. Tastefully modernised into a luxurious beach house sleeping up to 8 guests in three bedrooms. The perfect location for a family holiday, in a stunning location and very friendly small village. With up to 7 miles of sandy beach on your door step there are lots of great walks and exciting activities to enjoy. On the doorstep of your beach rental property lies the small, beach front village of Sandhead, set in the south west of Dumfries and Galloway - gateway to an area of outstanding natural beauty.
The perfect base to totally unwind
Chill out on luxurious leather sofas by the open fire perfect for relaxing with the family or stretch your legs on the beach out front only 25 meters from our front door. The property has a spacious living room and separate dining area, the perfect opportunity to have quality time as a family whilst dining together around the large dining table. For family nights out or the cook's night off, you are only a minute's stroll from the village pub which serves great food. The kitchen is very spacious, and well equipped with a double oven, fridge freezer, toaster, kettle, and a whole range of pots, pans, crockery and utensils. There is also a small breakfast table in the kitchen perfect for enjoying the morning sunrise and your breakfast coffee before everyone else rises. The Auld Schoolhouse also has a utility room complete with washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and microwave perfect for storing wet weather gear, also downstairs is a shower room and WC. There is a second WC and large spacious bathroom on the half landing perfect for families with teenagers!
You'll find a large spacious elegant room in the first bedroom with a double and single bed as well as an additional pull out bed perfect for younger family members. The second bedroom, also a double bedroom with luxurious king-sized bed benefits from the morning sunlight and stunning views across Sandhead beach. The third bedroom is the perfect ‘den' for children, with twin beds, plenty of wardrobe space and a close by additional shower room. There is also a shower room and WC on the first floor.
The garden grounds
The Auld Schoolhouse garden is lovely, secluded and totally enclosed with parking for up to three cars. Just across the road from the Auld Schoolhouse is an additional garden space fully enclosed and quite secluded, ideal for catching the late evening sun just a stones throw from the beach, the perfect place to just chill out and relax. If you want to feel the sand between your toes, there is direct access from the garden to the beach. The village has a popular pub restaurant, the Tigh-na-Mara, which is dog friendly and serves delicious food and refreshments. If you need to stock up on any items there is a well-stocked village shop and close by the Woodlea Tearoom, serving delicious home baking and breakfast rolls.
Jan 5 - Mar 29 £465
Mar 30 - Apr 19 £620
Apr 20 - May 25 £560
May 25 - May 31 £750
Jun 1 - Jun 28 £620
June 29 - Aug 30 £780
Aug 31 - Sep 13 £620
Sep14 - Oct 14 £560
Oct 5 - Nov 1 £620
Nov 2 - Dec 20 £465
Dec 21 - Jan 5 £780
Please advise if you intend bringing pets with you, up two pets welcome and small pet surcharge applies.
"We love this house - and my dogs love it more!
Comfortable and cosy with everything you need. Across the road from an amazing beach. Peaceful and relaxing. We've visited four times now and we hate leaving. Can't recommend this house enough"
"First visit to Auld Schoolhouse and it definitely won't be the
last! Superb property, excellent location for long beach walks, spotlessly
clean, true home from home holiday house. Host Elspeth was so helpful and nothing
was too much hassle.
Would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a beach holiday in Scotland - it was perfect!"
"We stayed at The Auld Schoolhouse Sandhead for a week and immediately felt relaxed. It had a real home from home feel and was well equipped to a high standard. A very spacious house with comfortable rooms and great views over the sands. We enjoyed some beautiful sunrises and sunsets. It was a great base for exploring the surrounding areas. As a bonus it has an excellent restaurant approximately 150m along the road. Will definitely be back."
"Spent a lovely two week here, fantastic house from everything you need or want, beach just across the road which we enjoyed everyday especially the dog, definitely be back next year. Home baking and breakfast rolls."
"We were looking for somewhere quiet for a nice relaxing break and got just what we wanted. The Auld Schoolhouse sits overlooking the beach and has an unobstructed view of the bay. Handy for Stranraer (if you wanted supermarkets/Church etc.) but far enough away to feel secluded. There was plenty to do and see in the Mull of Galloway and there was a great local pub together with a handy local shop. Very good facilities in the Auld Schoolhouse itself. Overall it was exactly what we hoped for."
"Lovely location, beach and play park just across the road. Views from front windows fabulous. Very well equipped house with good quality furnishings, bedding, and kitchen equipment. Greatest asset was the lovely marble fireplace with copious amount of logs and coal great for the chilly evenings. Hotel just along the road, two minutes, served the most wonderful food. Definitely recommend for a lovely holiday."