- We love the attention to detail, renovated in the Arts & Crafts style with solid oak beams, posts and flooring.
- Enjoy beautifully relaxing views over the courtyard and garden area.
- South/east facing terrace with garden furniture and barbecue for al fresco dining.
- Elegant furnishings throughout with down duvets and crisp white bedlinens.
Good To Know
- Micro fibre duvets and pillows can be supplied if required.
- A lovely welcome basket with basic and not to basic provisions is included in the cost
- Electricity, heating and one basket of logs is included in the rental cost, additional logs can be purchased from the office.
- Free Superfast Wi-Fi is available throughout your stay.
- Sandford House has a 7-acre shared garden for guests to enjoy, with enough variety to make it perfect for eating outdoors, taking a leisurely stroll, or simply relaxing on a sunny day.
- For top-quality Scottish cuisine made from fresh local produce, take a trip to The Grange Inn at St Andrews or visit one of our 3 local restaurants, The View, Wormit, Boat Brae Bistro or The Newport which is run by Masterchef winner Jamie Scott.
- If you're heading to Dundee, you can enjoy delicious grilled food from around the world at the Gidi Grill, or perhaps pay a visit to the fantastic French bistro, Café Montmartre.
- A range of luxurious holiday extras can be added on to your stay when booking, including delicious meat ready for the on-site barbecue and vegetable and fruit boxes containing a variety of fresh, tasty produce.
- Outlander Fans must visit Falkland, Culross, Balgonie Castle, Dysart Harbour and Aberdour, you'll recognise these film locations used in the drama series.
- Tee off on one of the home of golf's 50 courses or simply take a walk across the famous Old Course on a Sunday.
- Stop off at North Queensferry to admire the engineering marvel of the Fort Road Bridge a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Scotland's Secret Bunker and discover how Scotland would have been governed during a nuclear attack in the Cold War.
- Sandford is centrally located for all the golf courses so is the ideal location if you plan to play a few courses in the area with over 45 golf courses in Fife including the famous Old Course, 32 in neighbouring Angus, including Carnoustie and around 40 in Perthshire, including Gleneagles.
- Sandford is the perfect walkers base - there are some lovely walks from your doorstep. You can choose to walk up Norman's Law (a long way up but the view from the top is stunning) or join the waymarket path for The Fife Coastal Path which stretches for 117 miles and has lots of stretches to enjoy.
- For beach adventures you can visit the beach at Tentsmuir or head along to the West Sands and East Sands.
- For the fishermen and women in your party there's fishery just down the road at Newton Farm with a well-stocked trout loch.
- Tennis anyone? - Wormit and Newport Tennis Club allows guests to play at the courts in Wormit and Newport.
- In just under a 30-minute drive from Knockhill Racing Circuit if you enjoy the excitement of cars and bikes at speed why not make a day of it and head to Knockhill for the motor-racing.
- Culturally you couldn't be in a better place, there's gardens and heritage, history and plenty to do in the evenings such as catching a performance at the The Byre Theatre, St Andrews or a visit to the new Victoria and Albert museum in Dundee.
Escape to this gorgeous two bedroomed five-star cottage in Newport on Tay, Fife with its oak beams, elegant furnishings and tranquil garden grounds - a distinguished build pedigree designed by MH Baillie Scott, lauded member of the Arts & Crafts Movement set in a stunning location near Dundee, St Andrews and Perth.
This gorgeous two bedroomed cottage, sleeping 4 guests in two ensuite bedrooms is named after Harben J Valentine, (photographic publisher from Dundee and photographer to Queen Victoria) who commissioned MH Baillie Scott to design ‘Sandford Cottage' as the house was known in 1902. Sandford is one of only two houses in Scotland designed by MH Baillie Scott, renowned architect and member of the Arts & Crafts movement. Renovated in the arts & crafts style with solid oak beams, posts and flooring Valentines is situated in the middle of the holiday homes wing with lovely views over the courtyard and the garden - a back door leads directly out into the garden. Outside there is a south/east facing terrace with garden furniture and a barbecue whilst inside (upstairs) there is a spacious, but cosy open plan living, kitchen, dining room with a wood burning stove and comfy sofas and chairs, TV with Freeview, DVD player and Bluetooth speaker. The fully fitted kitchen has an electric cooker, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave and coffee machine. Downstairs there are two bedrooms, one with a king size bed, which can be split into two singles and one with a double bed. Both bedrooms are en-suite, one with a bath and one with a walk-in shower, both are fitted with Trevi power showers. The comfy beds have sumptuous feather & down duvets, pillows and the bed linen is crisp white Egyptian cotton. Micro fibre duvets and pillows can be supplied if required. Downstairs, the entrance hall has a useful cupboard for coats, golf clubs, suitcases etc. Included in your stay is complimentary Wi-Fi, oil central heating, oodles of hot water and a wood burning stove.
Five-star fun at Sandford Cottages
Sandford House has a 7-acre shared garden for guests to enjoy, with enough variety to make it perfect for eating outdoors, taking a leisurely stroll, or simply relaxing on a sunny day. Whether you're enjoying the gorgeous architecture or relaxing in the green spaces, it's the perfect way to while away some time. For those interested in the main house's 'Arts and Crafts' architectural style, a guided tour of the property is available. Less than a 10-minute drive away you'll find the coastal city of Dundee, known as Scotland's sunniest city. With a historic waterfront, amazing sights both old and modern, and the fantastic V&A Dundee art and design museum, it's well worth paying a visit. The seaside town of St Andrews is known as the 'Home of Golf', with a 15th century golf course which is one of the oldest in the world. There's plenty to appeal beyond just golf, though, with the spectacular ruins of the cathedral as well as a historic university. With a prime location in the glorious countryside of the Fife area of Scotland, this accommodation boasts unbeatable rural views and makes the perfect setting for a holiday where you can really get away from it all. The 7-acre garden includes picnic areas, room to sit and relax, and enough room for casual strolls. Spend some time in the grounds and get truly immersed in the idyllic surroundings.
For a wild day out! Head to the 55-acre Scottish Deer Centre includes 14 species of deer, as well as wolves, lynxes, Scottish wildcats, and even European brown bears. They also have a supreme selection of birds of prey in their Raptor World. Make a day of it and visit Dundee where you have a superb cultural scene including theatres, art museums and cutting edge architecture. It's worth exploring the city's heritage as well, with a visit to the new V&A building on the waterfront, historic buildings and boats, including the RRS Discovery and the HMS Unicorn. The historic seaside town of St Andrews boasts one of the oldest golf courses in the world, well worth a visit for any fan of the game, as well as three beautiful beaches and the fascinating ruins of St Andrews Castle and the Cathedral of St Andrews. Get a glimpse into not-so-distant history with a visit to Scotland's Secret Bunker. This hidden nuclear command centre is located 100ft beneath the ground, 6 miles outside St Andrews, and was built in 1953 due to the Cold War threat of nuclear war with the USSR. Craigtoun Country Park offers a range of play areas, rides and games for all ages. Outlander fans will be wowed by the connections to all the film locations in this area, which include Falkland, Culross, Balgonie Castle, Dysart Harbour and Aberdour. Golfers are also well catered for with the numerous courses on offer to play. If you prefer to get out into the hills or along the coast walkers will enjoy the Fife Coastal Route, which starts in nearby Newport-on-Tay and travels through many of Fife's charming seaside fishing villages as well as the many right here on your doorstep.
Valentines is available from £260 for 2 nights in low season and from £500 for 3 night's stay in high season. weekly rates on application.
Valentines is one of 6 beautiful properties from Sandford Cottages that can be booked in conjunction for larger group bookings. Please contact the owners website link if you are seeking additional properties for your group, listed with us here on Best Scottish Cottages. When booked together Sandford Cottages are perfect for Corporate Retreats!
"My husband and I stay near to Sandford. This year we took two of the Cottages over the Christmas period to accommodate the two branches of our family. This enabled us all to get together in comfortable and beautiful surroundings for the celebration. The Cottages are wonderful and the hosts at Sandford provide the most perfect service. My family loved every minute."
"All good things come to an end. Had a brilliant family holiday up at Sandford Cottages. Stunning accommodation and scenery with warm and friendly hosts. The accommodation is in pristine condition, modern, beautiful and super clean, most definitely the best self-catering accommodation that we have ever stayed in and we are already thinking about booking again for September or October of this year. There are lots of things to do in the vicinity for little people and we had a great time picking strawberries and running around the playpark at Cairnie Fruit farm, walking through the forest and along the vast, empty beach at Tentsmuir Nature reserve (not to mention enjoying the most delicious crepes at the Crepe Shack whilst spotting chaffinches, woodpeckers and a variety of other birds), exploring the science museum and taking part in a technology play experience at the V&A in Dundee, eating fish and chips from the Tail End in St Andrews and enjoying the most delicious ice cream from Janettas before sampling the delights of Craigtoun Country Park in St Andrews on our very last day."
"We had a fantastic four-night break at Sandford Cottages. Valentine's cottages were just lovely. It was very well furnished, spotlessly clean and had everything a family of four required."