Ulva Lodge Hideaway Lodge
Gruline, Isle of Mull, Scotland
- Scandi-timber built lodges set in harmony with Drumlang Woodland surrounds.
- A spacious outoor dining area on the veranda of your hideaway lodge for alfresco breakfasts and sunset sipping.
- Patio doorsto maximise the light in your lodge and let the outside in.
- Wake up beautfully in the heart of the Drumlang woods, on the shores of Loch Na Keal, surrounded by carpets of enchanting bluebells.
Good To Know
- Ulva Lodge is a kingsize bedded cabin just for couples who want to get away from it all, together.
- Pack your binoculars; you'll be blown away by the wildlife on your doorstep. An ornithologist's sanctuary with acres of woodland to explore the native bird species on Mull. You may be lucky and spot some magnificent golden eagles.
- The Mishnish in Tobermory is an iconic Scottish pub where traditional music and legendary folk nights are made.
- Local convenience stores open 7 days a week in Salen and Tobermory if you forget the lemons for your tonic.
- Dine out at The Boathouse on Ulva where fresh fresh shellfish is landed from the family fishing boat daily.
- The Mediterranea Restaurant in Salen offers fresh Mull produce, sea bass, steaks and great vegetarian options.
- Learn how malt whisky in Mull is crafted and aged in the Tobermory distillery and visitor centre.
- Go eagle spotting with Mull eagle Watch.
- Learn about a schooner 48 days adrift in the atlantic at the Mull Museum, or visit Duart Castle ancient home of the Maclean clan for over 800 years.
A romantic woodland retreat
One of three ridiculously romantic rural hideouts where you can immerse yourself in the natural beauty on the Isle of Mull overlooking the mesmerising shores of Loch Na Keal. Slow down beautifully where you can both get away from it all and be together or reclaim some much needed together time.
Expect your own private woodland canopy where you can trace the milky way or watch the twinkling night sky from the privacy and tranquillity of your very own Scandinavian timber styled log cabin in Drumlang woods.
Location really is everything, bluebell carpets line the forest floor, eagles spread their wings, while stags share their highland homeland with guests staying at Ulva Lodge. The outside decking of your private lodge is perfect for uninterrupted lazy mornings and relaxing at leisure, dining alfresco or maybe a nightcap before bed.
The quickest relax
Soulmates and sweethearts can cosy up by the log effect stove and sample a malt crafted on the island's Tobermory Distillery or sink back into the sofa, draw the curtains over the large patio doors with some chilled sounds or settle down for a movie night in.
You can be as big an adventurer as you dare, learning about the absorbing WW2 connections with this hypnotic island, visiting romantic ruins from the seat of the Maclean Clan at Castle Duart or dining on fresh locally hand caught shellfish in one of the islands seafood restraints. A well-equipped kitchen with the usual fridge/freezer combi, microwave, oven, dishwasher makes cooking at home a breeze. Just remember to watch the pot if you're cooking, rather than the wildlife visiting the windows of your lodge, as the wildlife is mesmerising and ever changing with the light.
Thoughtfully provided maps and books of the area help you to maximise your time here on Mull - you can ponder the next day's adventure while enjoying the welcome jar of owners buttery, homemade shortbread; a winning family recipe. Rise early to catch the otter breakfasting on the shores of Loch Na Keal or heading for supper as the lipstick sky sunsets dip down over the island. Spy white tailed sea eagle and around dusk the short eared owls disturbed only by bounding fallow deer or stag passing through the forest.
Calgary and Black beach may tempt the inner beachcomber in you from your woodland sanctuary or make for some other beautiful beaches a little further afield at Uisken, Fidden and Kintra on the Ross of Mull. Climb Ben More if munroing is more your calling or venture along the Mull coast to coast walk from Killiechronan to Salen. Outlander lovers wont want to miss the stone circle at Loch Buie and standing stones at Gruline and there's the hauntingly beautiful Iona Abbey and the Well of Eternal Youth close to Dun I.
The adventure begins here
You'd be forgiven if you didn't venture far, for there's a soporific effect from long relaxing soaks, oodles of hot water and a king-size bed for when you're ready to turn in.
Don't expect Wi-Fi or bright lights, think Scottish hygge of the purest form at a soul nourishing level; pure connection time and total tranquillity. Ulva Lodge is one of Mull's Best kept secrets and shhh... did we mention no children allowed.
f you wish to book a short stay or your required holiday dates do not run from Saturday to Saturday please contact us via email or phone as only Saturday to Saturday lets can be booked online.
Payment can be made by BACS or cheque. Once you have reserved your lodge and are happy with the terms & conditions, we ask for a 50% deposit to be paid within 7 days of making your booking with the balance payment being payable at any point until one month prior to your stay.
Rates : From £350 per week.
Guests Comments :
"Very friendly and helpful with lots of local knowledge. "
"Janine gave us a warm welcome and showed us where everything was and how things worked. The lodge was beautifully appointed and there was everything we needed. It was nestled in the woods and facing the sea. Every day deer came by our window and we left them carrots. There were lots of birds on the feeders that kept us entertained. Even peacocks came by."
"This year was the third time we've stayed at the hideaway lodge and each time has been amazing. The location perfect for peace and quiet. The lodges are cosy and comfortable. Highly recommended"
"An amazing place, deer outside the lodge every night,a spectacular position on the edge of Loch Na Keal, great walks and a lovely Lodge to come back to every night. Great quality fixtures and fittings."
"Special Hosts, lovely as always! Hideaway Lodges is just such a fantastic place to stay! Everything you need is there and the setting is perfect. "
"Exceptionally clean and well kitted out with everything you could need for a restful stay in a beautiful location".