- Relax in your own private spa bath, for the perfect holiday spoil!
A herculean sized kitchen in the heart of this fully restored Victorian Schoolhouse lends itself to large family gatherings.
BBQ suppers for alfresco dining, summer sipping in the courtyard garden or relax before dinner in the sunroom at The Old School.
Litttle ones will love the grounds with approximately 3 acres of native woodland for wild play.
Good To Know
- The adjoiing woods have two burns running through them with lovely walking and wild flowers to enjoy.
- A Jotwul wood burning stove makes for cosy gatherings on cooler evenings.
- Visit Sandhead which is situated on the more sheltered East
coast of the Mull of Galloway peninsula, with sand as far as the eye can see. uninterrupted
views of Luce Bay and the Galloway Hills beyond.
- The Old School offers a ‘turn up & sit down' policy where you''ll find a small supply of all the basics on your arrival so you can just turn up and sit down for the first day of your holiday.
Spoiled for choice when you are dining out. The owners have put together a caerefully thought out selection of local eateries in and aroud The Old School. Casa Mia, Hullabaloo, The great Dumfries or there's Kilnford Barns - Farm shop and restaurant. Daksh Indian restaurant, India's finest in Dumfries or Pumpernickle. Mabie House Hotel is a lovely old hotel with formal dining and delightful grounds and we can't forget Craigadam House where all the guests share one big table with a beautiful set menu, delightful wee bar, and big snooker table in the games room with gorgeous grounds and views.
- Close to where Robert Burns lived for many years and now the place of his burial.
- Visit Dumfries the capital of the region, set beside the river Nith.
- Head for Galloway Forest Park and uncover stories surrounding local ruined castles and romantic abbeys, such as the 700-year old Sweethear.
- Nearby Kirkcudbright or Scotland's Artists' Town famous retreat of the Glasgow Boys including Hornel, Peploe and many other of Scotlands finest painters. Visit the Spring Fling when over 100 artists open their studios to the public.
- The 7 Stanes are Scotland's great mountain bike routes and The Old School is on their doorstep.
An elegant Victorian Schoolhouse with soul soothing views and picture perfect location, tucked beautifully in the Galloway Hills.
Sleeping 10 in 4 bedrooms with a herculean sized kitchen in the heart of the house that takes entertaining guests to a whole different level. State of the art appliances including a pillar box red Aga and Rangemaster.
After dinner, stroll through to the large lounge area complete with wood-burning stove and comfortable seating. There's plenty to keep you entertained on your holiday: large-screen LCD TV, DVD, Wi-Fi, CD player, a collection of DVD's and iPod speaker dock or you can put on the outdoor fire pit and toast some marshmallows as the sun dips down over the Galloway Hills.
Breakfast is a breeze and you can choose to take in the sunroom or outside through the large french windows and into the sheltered courtyard of The Old School.
Located on the ground floor you'll find the lounge, diningroom, kitchen, utility room and shower room. Immerse yourself in stunning rural views from every angle as the property has 2 living rooms one large room with wood burning stove and the other a smaller sun room perfect for watching the sun go down. There's even a spa bath with big fluffy towels for soothing tired muscles after a day out on the Galloway hills. For the little guests staying at The Old School there are 2 high chairs and 2 travel cots but please do bring your own cot bedding.
Flexible for family gatherings and holidays with multiple families the master suite, with en suite shower room can be configured as 2 single beds or a superking to suit. The remaining 3 bedrooms are doubles and there's a sofabed in the lounge which can extend guest accommodation to a maximum of 10 on request.
Gorgeous grounds with courtyard space and pet friendly up to two well behaved pets very welcome . (Pet housekeeping supplement £20 per pet)
The Old School is available for weekly rentals or short-breaks on request. Short breaks are Monday - Friday, or Friday - Monday, however the owners are very flexible if you would prefer chageovers on alternative days.
Low Season £560 per week / £450 short breaks
Mid Season £650 per week / £450 short breaks
High Season £750 per week / £500 short breaks
Peak Season £950 per week / £650 short breaks
Christmas and New Year week only £1100
Please note there is flat £20 pet fee for pets holidaying with you.
An elegant Victorian country residence with all the charm and seculsion you could want yet close enough for swallows and amazon styled adventures where a lifetime of memories are made.
"A lovely house and great base for exploring the beautiful Borders. Really comfortable, well equipped and the peace, quiet and darkness was a lovely change from city life."
"Fab long weekend with family. pefrect space to relax with loved ones. ( pooches included ). lovely welcome gift and all essentials were there saving stocking up on the obvious essentials. kitchen is fabulous!"
"Lesley was a perfect host. The welcome hamper that we received on arrival was the cherry on the cake for a brilliant stay in great accommodation. The house was in a great location for our weekend away, was a lovely comfortable base with loads of space and we would all return for a future visit. Would readily recommend."