- Gorgeous interiors renovated in the arts & crafts style with oak floor and original leaded windows.
- We love the antique arts and crafts bedroom.
- Enjoy stunning views over the Fife countryside North, South and East.
- Named after the families of squirrels that grace the grounds.
- Elegant funishings throughout with down duvet and crisp white bedlinens.
Good To Know
- Micro fibre duvets and pillows can be supplied if required.
- A lovely welcome basket with basic and not to basic provisions is included in the cost
- Electricity and heating is included in the rental cost
- Free Superfast Wi-Fi is available throughout your stay.
- Sandford House has a 7-acre shared garden for guests to enjoy, with enough variety to make it perfect for eating outdoors, taking a leisurely stroll, or simply relaxing on a sunny day.
- For top-quality Scottish cuisine made from fresh local produce, take a trip to The Grange Inn at St Andrews or visit one of our 3 local restaurants, The View, Wormit, Boat Brae Bistro or The Newport which is run by Masterchef winner Jamie Scott.
- If you're heading to Dundee, you can enjoy delicious grilled food from around the world at the Gidi Grill, or perhaps pay a visit to the fantastic French bistro, Café Montmartre.
- A range of luxurious holiday extras can be added on to your stay when booking, including delicious meat ready for the on-site barbecue and vegetable and fruit boxes containing a variety of fresh, tasty produce.
- Outlander Fans must visit Falkland, Culross, Balgonie Castle, Dysart Harbour and Aberdour, you'll recognise these film locations used in the drama series.
- Tee off on one of the home of golf's 50 courses or simply take a walk across the famous Old Course on a Sunday.
- Stop off at North Queensferry to admire the engineering marvel of the Fort Road Bridge a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Scotland's Secret Bunker and discover how Scotland would have been governed during a nuclear attack in the Cold War.
- Sandford is centrally located for all the golf courses so is the ideal location if you plan to play a few courses in the area with over 45 golf courses in Fife including the famous Old Course, 32 in neighbouring Angus, including Carnoustie and around 40 in Perthshire, including Gleneagles.
- Sandford is the perfect walkers base - there are some lovely walks from your doorstep. You can choose to walk up Norman's Law (a long way up but the view from the top is stunning) or join the waymarket path for The Fife Coastal Path which stretches for 117 miles and has lots of stretches to enjoy.
- For beach adventures you can visit the beach at Tentsmuir or head along to the West Sands and East Sands.
- For the fishermen and women in your party there's fishery just down the road at Newton Farm with a well-stocked trout loch.
- Tennis anyone? - Wormit and Newport Tennis Club allows guests to play at the courts in Wormit and Newport.
- In just under a 30-minute drive from Knockhill Racing Circuit if you enjoy the excitement of cars and bikes at speed why not make a day of it and head to Knockhill for the motor-racing.
- Culturally you couldn't be in a better place, there's gardens and heritage, history and plenty to do in the evenings such as catching a performance at the The Byre Theatre, St Andrews or a visit to the new Victoria and Albert museum in Dundee.
Just for two, this gorgeous apartment in Newport on Tay, Fife with a superb build pedigree designed by MH Baillie Scott, member of the Arts & Crafts Movement has elegant furnishings, oak floors, leaded window panes and stunning grounds. Close to Dundee, St Andrews and Perth.
Red Squirrel is the latest addition to Sandford Cottages. An elegant one bedroom apartment sleeping two guests in a double en-suite bedroom. A further small single bed suitable can be arranged on request for a child in the same room. Reglular visits from a family of red squirrels in the garden gave rise to the properties name.The apartment is situated on the second floor of the older, original part of Sandford House and is renovated in the arts & crafts style with a solid oak floor and original leaded windows with stunning views over the Fife countryside North, South and East. Red Squirrel has a cosy open plan living room with a kitchen, a comfy sofa and chairs, TV with Freeview, DVD player and Sonos sound system. The fully fitted kitchen has an electric oven, induction hob, fridge, dishwasher, microwave and coffee machine. The bedroom has an Arts and Crafts antique double bed and a dressing table and chair and the newly fitted en-suite shower room has a large shower cabinet and a Trevi shower. Relax with sumptuous duvets, pillows and gorgeous crisp white Egyptian cotton linens. Microfibre duvets and pillows can be supplied if required. Access to the apartment is though the loggia door and up 3 flights of stairs. The property offers guests free WiFi, Electricity and is fully central heated.
Five star fun at Red Squirrel
Sandford House has a 7-acre shared garden for guests to enjoy, with enough variety to make it perfect for eating outdoors, taking a leisurely stroll, or simply relaxing on a sunny day. Whether you're enjoying the gorgeous architecture or relaxing in the green spaces, it's the perfect way to while away some time. For those interested in the main house's 'Arts and Crafts' architectural style, a guided tour of the property is available. Less than a 10-minute drive away you'll find the coastal city of Dundee, known as Scotland's sunniest city. With a historic waterfront, amazing sights both old and modern, and the fantastic V&A Dundee art and design museum, it's well worth paying a visit. The seaside town of St Andrews is known as the 'Home of Golf', with a 15th century golf course which is one of the oldest in the world. There's plenty to appeal beyond just golf, though, with the spectacular ruins of the cathedral as well as a historic university. With a prime location in the glorious countryside of the Fife area of Scotland, this accommodation boasts unbeatable rural views and makes the perfect setting for a holiday where you can really get away from it all. The 7-acre garden includes picnic areas, room to sit and relax, and enough room for casual strolls. Spend some time in the grounds and get truly immersed in the idyllic surroundings.
For a wild day out! Head to the 55-acre Scottish Deer Centre includes 14 species of deer, as well as wolves, lynxes, Scottish wildcats, and even European brown bears. They also have a supreme selection of birds of prey in their Raptor World. Make a day of it and visit Dundee where you have a superb cultural scene including theatres, art museums and cutting edge architecture. It's worth exploring the city's heritage as well, with a visit to the new V&A building on the waterfront, historic buildings and boats, including the RRS Discovery and the HMS Unicorn. The historic seaside town of St Andrews boasts one of the oldest golf courses in the world, well worth a visit for any fan of the game, as well as three beautiful beaches and the fascinating ruins of St Andrews Castle and the Cathedral of St Andrews. Get a glimpse into not-so-distant history with a visit to Scotland's Secret Bunker. This hidden nuclear command centre is located 100ft beneath the ground, 6 miles outside St Andrews, and was built in 1953 due to the Cold War threat of nuclear war with the USSR. Craigtoun Country Park offers a range of play areas, rides and games for all ages. Outlander fans will be wowed by the connections to all the film locations in this area, which include Falkland, Culross, Balgonie Castle, Dysart Harbour and Aberdour. Golfers are also well catered for with the numerous courses on offer to play. If you prefer to get out into the hills or along the coast walkers will enjoy the Fife Coastal Route, which starts in nearby Newport-on-Tay and travels through many of Fife's charming seaside fishing villages as well as the many right here on your doorstep.
Red Squirrel is one of 6 beautiful properties from Sandford Cottages that can be booked in conjunction for larger group bookings. Please contact the owners website link if you are seeking additional properties for your group, listed with us here on Best Scottish Cottages. When booked together Sandford Cottages are perfect for Corporate Retreats!
"Quiet, luxurious and wonderfully situated. If you want to hide and read or watch birds it's ideal. If you want to use this as a base to explore- also perfect."
"Red Squirrel apartment is the perfect base for exploring the Dundee area. It is stylishly furnished, well equipped and immaculate. Evelyn and Ralph were perfect hosts, providing a warm welcome and generous basket of provisions and even a tour of their delightful house. We will certainly return!"
"We have booked to stay with a Evelyn and Ralph at Sandford over our Wedding Weekend next year, and when the opportunity came up to stay with them for another wedding near by, we couldn't resist. Sandford is situated in a beautiful location with stunning views. Each time we have visited we have felt so welcome and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, cottage was so clean, comfortable and cosy. A relaxing weekend with many memories made. We can't wait to go back."
extended stay whilst house hunting . Evelyn and Ralph were super hosts and the
love and care they both put into this Art & Crafts architectural gem is
clear throughout. All of this makes it a great place to spend time".
"The owners passion for the property is obvious. The tour of the house and it's very varied history is worthwhile."