- Spacious waters edge veranda out front.
- Stunning lochside setting with uninterrupted views.
- Your own private beach - a wild swimmer's paradise
- BBQ for alfresco dining.
Good To Know
- One of two stunning properties both sleep 6 but can be booked together for a large group of 12.
- Astounding wildlife and birdwatching location.
- A pet friendly cottage.
- Excellent loch fishing spots - a stone's throw from your cottage.
- Wifi (100kb speeds) and landline (mobile signal intermittent)
- The Salen Hotel offers restaurant style lunches and dinners using fresh local produce from the area. (Pre-booking advisable)
- Cafe Tioram open for breakfast, lunches and teas (seasonal opening hours apply)
- The Glenuig Smokery (located by The Glenuig Inn) where you can purchase locally smoked venison meats to take home with you.
- A supply of tea, coffee and basics are provided to welcome you on arrival.
- Guided sea kayaking tours can be aranged on request.
- Visit the inner hebrides of Muck, Canna, Coll, Eigg, Mull or Rum by boat charter.
- Go whale watching, eagle spotting or a sea safari with Ardnamurchan Charters and spot dophin, porpoise, seals and more.
- Visit Nadurra Visitor Centre, Castle Tioram ruins, lead mines and many other fascinating spots.
- Climb down into an extinct volcanic crater and explore ancient geology and rock formations.
- Visit Tobermory whisky distillery, learn how whisky is made from craftsman and sample some world class classic malts.
- Visit the singing sands, deserted beaches and wild swim in the warmer currents of the gulf stream.
Immerse yourself in wildlife, romance and nature - one of two stunning 5 Star properties overlooking the sparkling waters of Loch Sunart and out into the wild splendour of the Atlantic Ocean; true lochside living.
This Swallows and Amazons adventure styled stay begins the moment you arrive at Oak Cottage, where the shores of Loch Sunart lap at your doorstep and the eagles swoop circles in the sky in the heart of Ardnamurchan's unspoilt natural landscape. Breathe in pure peace and tranquillity and drop down several gears where traces of ancient volcanic action, glacier activity and rich wildlife permeates your soul, leaving you spellbound and reconnected with yourself and each other.
Sleeping 6 guests with a large open plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and three large light filled bedrooms you can choose from 2 king size and 1 twin bedded room, all with en-suite shower and bath. The spacious decked veranda takes your stay to a whole new level whether sipping a glass of chilled wine as the sun sets over the Atlantic ocean and you pick out the Isle of Canna in the distance or muse over the antics of red deer, pine martens and otters breakfasting on your shore.
Beach strolls, sandy bays and 15 acres of private breath taking grounds provides excellent walking for guests at Oak Cottage. Launch your own boat from the house beach or bring kayaks with you for some relaxing shoreline hopping.
From dawn to dusk the cottage makes the very best of its location and the 5 star facilities creates an instant relax whether being cosy, curled up on the sofa in front of the log-burner or revitalised when the sun streams in through the large windows in the morning. Switch off and relax or stay connected with wifi (100kb speeds just enough to check your mail if needed but not to intrude on your holiday so you may choose to pre-load any preferred movies before you arrive). There's a good selection of DVD's in the house for guests use and a landline phone as mobile signal is intermittent due to the location.
The layout of Oak Cottage is designed for easy living. Downstairs is open plan, with a modern fitted kitchen equipped with everything you need for a five star stay. On arrival there's tea, coffee and basic food essentials in the cupboard and a full food shop can be organised for you on arrival by prior request.
A spacious living area that boasts magnificent views of the surrounding countryside and plenty of room for both a lounge and a dining area, a porch to store coats and boots, a small WC and the first of three bedrooms. Upstairs there is a large gallery landing with a seating area that can be used as a second living room or snug, and two further large double bedrooms, both with their own en-suite bathrooms.
The geology of the area is quite incredible and a short drive over to Sanna Bay will offer you the chance to go down into the remains of the centre of an extinct volcanic crater.The owners are passionate abot the area and can provide you with information on the geology of Ardnamurchan and interesting places to explore during your stay here.
For kayaking on the most azure of waters head to Arisaig Kayaks where you can arrange a guided trip around the bays and inlets or hire a kayak for your very own Loch Sunart adventure.Jump ship on the small foot passenger ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory and learn how some classic malts whisky are crafted including the the lightly peated Tobermory and the very peaty Ledaig. Ardnamurchan charters offers fascinating whale watching tours, Mull Sea Eagle cruises or wildlife trips ranging from one to four hours for guests on request.
Hills, glens, castles, woods, lochs, the "singing sands" of Kentra, lead mines, deserted villages, coastal paths and magnificent views are just waiting to be explored. Visit a specially created "Living Building" at the Nadurra Visiter Centre, a uniquely rough and natural building designed to attract a variety of wildlife to live in and on it and to enable visitors to watch the birds and animals at close quarters.
The local waters around you are home to bottlenose dolphins, common seals, killer whales, minke whales and otters while on land you'll likely spot red squirrels, red deer and even pine martins, which are visitors to the decking outside the cottages. Don't forget to bring your rods to Loch Sunart, the sea-fishing is exceptional as are the local loch fishing spots and there's a BBQ for cooking your catch on your return.
Guests are welcome to arrive from 4pm and 10am checkout on departure. Oak Cottage is available for weekly stays and when availability allows, they also offer short breaks at £175 per day for a minimum 3 night stay. One of two stunning private lochside properties Oak Cottage can be booked with Birch Cottage together, for groups of up to a maximum of 12 when taken together
"Fabulous place to stay, comfortable and clean. Quiet and scenic just perfect to unwind so much so that we have already booked again. The icing on the cake ... pinemartins and red deer arriving each e-vening for their supper. Wow, what a privilege." Joanna - March, 2017
"Just a quick note to say we had a great trip. fantastic location, paddling from the door. It really is the perfect location." Alasdair - October, 2016
"Many thanks once again for a fantastic break in beautiful Birch Cottage; it's been wonderful." Jacques - September, 2017