- The Steadings are set in a wildly beautiful location with to-die for sunsets and views from your doorstep.
- Traditional Hebridean steading conversions retaining the natural features and original stonework.
- Cosy woodburning stove in some of the properties.
Good To Know
- 5 luxury properties in a courtyard setting can be booked individually or together for families and group bookings.
- Pretenders Escape (1 bedroom apartment) please note this is a pet free property.
- McEachann's Hideout ( 1 bedroom apartment).
- Jessie's Hideaway (1 bedroom cottage) this property has a wood burner.
- MacQueen's Cottage (1 bedroom cottage).
- Flora's Secret (3 bedroom cottage). This property has a wood burner.
- Washing/drying facilities for guests laundry are available on site.
- Foodie's will love the gastronomic experiences available during your stay with selection of fresh local food and award-winning restaurants nearby.
- Skye has so much to offer from the iconic Eilean Donan Castle, Dunvegan castle, Cuillin Range, Fairy Glen, gardens, waterfalls and more.
- Walk on the Carribean-esque Coral Beach, visit The Old Man of Storr or the vantage points at Kilt Rock and the Mealt Falls.
- You can walk The Quiraing once of Scotland's iconic climbs with a complete hill circuit or take a day trip to Raasay and sample the distillery whisky.
- Visit local exhibitions, studios and galleries galore where you can meet tanners of sheepskins, dyers of wool, weavers and knitters, potters and artists. Traditional music can often be heard in local venues and the Gaelic College at Sabhal Mhor Ostaig.
- St Kilda boat trips run trips to the UK's only UNESCO Dual World Heritage Site & National Nature Reserve. Departing from April - September from nearby Stein Jetty - a natural & historical adventure of a lifetime.
- Visit local craft shops and sample freshly caught seafood in the many foodie outlets and restaurants on Skye.
- The Giant Angus MacAskill museum is a small, unique place to visit in Dunvegan.
- Skyeskyns at nearby Waternish is Scotland's only traditional exhibition tannery. where you can enjoy a tour and browse the high-quality products in the showroom, refreshments are available in the coffee yurt.
- Often referred to as a ‘chef's paradise' Skye's natural larder has allowed for an array of Michelin Starred restaurants, small locally run cafes, food vans and unbeatable pub dining.
- Book dinner for a special celebration at the world famous Three Chimneys or try the newest foodie destination Edinbane Lodge for exceptional fine dining.
- Kinloch Lodge, home of Lady Claire's cookery books and courses offers delicious local recipes and fresh foraged food.
- The Old School Restaurant, Dulse and Brose, Lochbay Restaurant, Portree Hotel Cuchullin Restaurant and Sea Breezes are just some of the other place to dine out when staying.
- Experience the iconic Skeabost Hotel with a couple's game of golf or take afternoon tea at Greshornish Hotel.
- There's a rich Scottish traditional music in Skye and savour lobster and crab caught by local fisherman.
- For fresh oysters visit the popular Oyster Shed beside the Talisker distillery, serving fresh, local seafood all day.
- Café Lephin over beside Neist Point offers some delicious home baking and coffee and enjoy a cosy seat by their wood burning stove.
- Scorrybreac restaurant in Portree, this local favourite serves lots of Skye and Scottish produce cooked in a modern European style by talented Chef Calum Munro.
- Whisky and gin lovers will surely enjoy visiting The Misty Bottle The lovely owners are ready to help you choose the right bottle or try a few at the tasting
Stay in a wildly romantic Skye steading conversion; share a pedigreed past linked to Bonnie Prince Charlie, the young Jacobite pretender and instigator of the Jacobite uprising of 1745; romantic walks, historic sites, fresh seafood and total relaxation.
A true tale of love and courage.
Monkstadt Steadings reveal a true tale of love and courage with danger and excitement interwoven with adventure and romance depicted in our Scottish history books. The name Monkstadt is synonomous with the fascinating Monkstadt 1745 a grand estate house in the grounds, on the Isle of Skye. Monkstadt House 1745 was once residence of the Chief of Clan Donald, and recovered from ruin with its walls still standing. The story tells of a courageous Skye woman Flora MacDonald, foster child of Sir Alexander and Lady Margaret, who saved "The Young Pretender's" life also known as Bonnie Prince Charlie by taking him to Skye from South Uist in a small wooden rowing boat disguised as a servant woman and leading him across the island on his way to the fiercely loyal Clanranalds on the mainland, to Borrodale.
The Steadings names acknowledge the daring escape which led to the Prince's evacuation from the advancing redcoats and you can stay in one of five beautifully restored cottages on Skye. Monkstadt 1745 and the Steadings are the haunt of many celebrated guests, including artists, writers and poets seeking inspiration and wildly beautiful locations for their work. Located on the famous Trotternish Peninsula in the north of Skye you are surrounded by incredible geology, places of interest and historical sites including the Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Lealt Falls and Duntulm Castle and further afield to the Magical Fairy Pools, Cullin Mountain Range, Gaelic College, galleries and craft shops.
Foodies will delight in the Michelin starred restaurants and culinary hotspots such as the infamous Three Chimneys, the celebrated Television personality and food writer Lady Claire MacDonald's Kinloch Lodge, Loch Bay Restaurant in Stein, Stein Inn and many others. Fresh local langoustines, hand dives scallops and fresh rope mussels land daily.
Your Jacobite Steadings
McEachann's Hideout and Pretender's Escape (Monkstadt no. 8 and 9).
These two, one bedroomed properties with gorgeous garden views offer a flat screen television, free WIFI, one bathroom and shower. The kitchen is equipped with a dishwasher and microwave and perfect for couples.
Flora's Secret (Monkstadt No. 7)
This three bedroomed cottage has a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, free WIFI, an equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, and 2 bathrooms with a shower.
Jessie's hideaway (Monkstadt No 6)
Offering a large garden and panoramic sea and mountain views with ample parking and free WiFi are available. The cottage is fitted with 1 king-size bedroom, a kitchen with a dishwasher, and a shower room and free toiletries. A flat-screen TV and wood-burning stove are featured in the living area. Laundry facilities are provided and bed linen and towels are provided free of charge.
MacQueen Cottage and Jessie's Hideaway (Monkstadt No 5 and 6)
Both cottages comprise 1 bedroom, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, an equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, and 1 bathroom with a shower.
Pretenders Escape, McEachanns Hideout, Jessies' Hideaway and McQueen Cottage are all one bedroom properties.Flora's secret is a three bedroomed property.
Monkstadt steadings are from £180 night andPretenders Escape (Monkstadt No.9) is from £150 per night.
A five-star location!
Monkstadt is situated in the township of Kilmuir. It is close to the village of Uig from where the ferry service runs between Skye and the Outer Hebrides. Portree, the main town on the island is 20 miles away with a range of shops, arts centre, restaurants and varied leisure pursuits. At Monkstadt you are within a 15 minute drive of Flora Macdonald's Grave and Skye Museum of Island Life.
Head to Fairy Glen, Uig and view theses cone shaped hills which look like a Quiraing landslip in miniature or another viewpoint to take in is Kilt Rock and the Mealt Falls. Duntulm Castle ruins lie in a dramatic landscape although not directly accessible it can be viewed from the beach.
You can walk the Quiraing once of Scotland's iconic climbs with a complete hill circuit and stunning walking approx. 6.5km round circuit or hike the Old Man of Storr. Have you heard of Callums Road? A single man's feat to build a road to his house by hand on the Isle of Raasay. A great day trip out and an exciting new distillery with whisky tasting on offer. The majestic Eilean Donan Castle has got to be on your bucket list and is instantly recognisable the world over. If castles are you thing Dunvegan Castle being the oldest and continuously inhabited castle in Scotland is open to the public. Look out for the Fairy Flag and Jacobite relics in the small castle display. Gorgeous well-kept garden grounds are a perfect place to relax. The instagrammable Fairy Pools with aquamarine water and sparkling pools are a definite stop off or head for Armadale Castle and grounds; seat of the Clan MacDonald. Coral Beach just a few miles North of Dunvegan is made from crushed white coral which makes the water look tropical blue when the sun is shining.
Monkstadt Steadings can be booked in conjunction with Monkstadt House 1745 for larger group bookings. Please contact the owners website link if you are seeking additional properties for your group, listed with us here on Best Scottish Cottages. A perfect location for Corporate Retreats!
"WOW- this place is amazing. Beautiful home, in a beautiful setting and a really welcoming feel. It is immaculately clean and we absolutely loved our stay. Great value for money, if you where to book here you 100% would not be disappointed."
"Very cosy apartment. Extremely clean and well equipped. Thanks for a lovely stay"
"An amazing place to stay on the spectacular Isle of Skye"
"Beautiful home, with everything you could need. Perfect location for exploring Skye & a beautiful view of the sea."
"Immaculate and clean place in a stunning location. The facilities were very modern and it was great to have a fire place for the evenings.
"Amazing House! We had everything we needed. The cottage is really very beautiful & cosy! We loved it! We highly recommend". The property is in a quiet relaxing location. The property was spotless with stunning views just steps away from the door. Everything is there that require. We would definitely recommend staying here if visiting Skye.
"An excellent house with perfect views. It is warm inside the house and everything is nice. If you want a place with a beautiful sea view, don't miss this nice house"