Thornhill, Nithsdale, Dumfries, Scotland
- Step straight from your front door into a natural playground, wildly beautiful countryside with walks and paths leading straight from your garden to the hills.
- Gorgeous old school glamour roll top bath for long soaks and lazy days.
- Farm tours can be arranged for guests.
Good To Know
- Cot available on request.
- Optional two fold out beds for extra guests.
- Family utility room.
- Cosy sitting room with log effect stove.
- Welcome hamper for Ghillie's Cottage guests on arrival.
- Choose from a selection of locally homemade organic meals delivered to your door for a "cook's night off!"
- Local dining out options includes cafes, restaurants and bars with local produce at the nearby villlages of Thornill and Moniaive.
- A salmon and sea trout fisherman's paradise on your doorstep - Ghillie's Cottage flirts with the edges of the River Nith and the Scaur water.
- Pack your clubs and head for Thornhill 18 holes, 6085 yards SSS 70, par 71- an exciting and challenging course for the high handicapper.
- Visit Drumlanrig castle and Estate, home to the Duke of Buccleuch - adventure grounds, scotland's cycle museum, gardens, plant nursery and visitors centre.
- Forest Mountain Bike tracks and equestrian centres all close by.
Ghillie's Cottage an elegant and stylish 5 star countryside fishing party luxury escape, sleeping up to 8 guests in 4 gorgeous bedrooms. A fishermans paradise for Trout and Salmon fishing.
Ghillie's Cottage bounded by river Nith and Scaur Water offers a luxurious and tranquil stay, immersed in history and natural landscapes. A south-facing position to maximise the long summer nights it lends itself perfectly to gatherings of friends and family overlooking the Galloway hills, with the privacy of its own enclosed garden.
Tucked up the Nith valley and flirting with the boundaries of Scaur Water and the River Nith it is a fishermans paradise and quiet retreat just 5 miles from the charm of Thornhill, its closest village.
Amid the rolling Galloway hills this super stylish 5 star cottage just recently been renovated and is now the perfect mix between an old stone house with a contemporary modern interior. This cottage is ideal for a family break or a fishing holiday, as Scaur water is one of the best Salmon rivers in Scotland.
For the more adventurous there are equestrian centres, forest trails, tracks and paths and mountain bike tracks. A true swallow and amazons style natural playground for letting the little ones loose.
Drumlanrig Castle and country estate is close by and offers castle tours and beautiful garden grounds while over in the villages of Thornhill and Moniaive you can shop for local produce, take in the quirky shops, cafes and restaurants.
Ghillie's Cottage is on their own private farmland and farm tours can be arranged while you are staying as guests of the property.
Comfortably sleeping 6 there is the option to provide two fold out beds for overspill in number on request with a large dining area ideal for entertaining up to 8 guests.
The ground floor offers a cosy sitting room with ample soft seating for 6 and moveable seating for three when extending yur number and gas log effect fire and the usual technology, TV, DVD,CD player, sound docks and wifi throughout. On the ground floor is a large twin bedroom and guests shower room.
Cooks will delight in the well equipped kitchen, full size fridge freezer and dishwasher and a generous sized utility room takes care of all the laundry needs with a washing machjne and tumble drier for guests use.
The first floor offers a large double bedroom and one twin bedded room with cotton linen fit for an Egyptian queen and a walk-in shower. For more indulgent days there's a beautiful roll top bath perfect for a long soak after a walk in the Galloway Hills.
"This was our second visit to Ghillies Cottage, what a truly amazing home to stay in, we loved our time here and didn't want to leave. Peace and quiet, walks from the door, ideal for dog lovers too with the enclosed safe garden. A wonderful base to explore Scotland, We had WIFI connection for the whole two weeks, but to be honest who needs WIFI when your there to get away from the day to day hustle and bustle of daily life. The welcome hamper on arrival was wonderful and the beautiful yellow roses on the table ( thank you Laura) We will be returning next year that's for sure, oh in fact we already booked yesterday."
stay was perfect from beginning to end, the host was amazing as was the hamper.
We enjoyed the use of the barbeque and all amenities and what a bonus to see an
eagle, kestrels, red squirrel and bats.
Highly recommended five star accommodation. Thank you Laura for a beautiful home in a beautiful serenic location."
"Ghillies Cottage is just beautiful. It's in a stunning location and the accommodation itself is like a real home from home. It comfortably sleeps 8 people and a dog without us falling over each other. Loads to do locally too. We have visited lots of local attractions and a few further afield in Ayr. Would definitely recommend and we'll be back."