- Originally built as a 16th Century Manor, following a fire the house was rebuilt and extended in the Georgian era and has been carefully updated with modern additions and luxury features.
- A beautiful bridal suite on the East wing, complete with a double jacuzzi bath.
- We love the regal feeling at Embo House, the cedar-lined library and the games room with a walnut wood bar make it extra special.
- Not only is the house exquisite in detail but the surrounding scenery is simply breath taking, if you're considering a Highland wedding Embo House has everything on offer.
- Outside, there is a practice pitching area (complete with water hazard and bunker) a large BBQ & terrace area, a tree-house and a beautiful glass summer-house.
Good To Know
- There is free wifi throughout the house and many of the reception rooms have real fireplaces with logs provided.
- Embo House can accommodate up to 2 well-behaved dogs.
- Check-in time for each stay is from 4 pm and Check-out is by 10 am.
House is about an hours' drive from Inverness airport.
Set in 8 acres of private grounds.
- Sleeps 16 - there are eight, spacious double bedrooms, (7 with views over the Dornoch Firth) 6 bedrooms have super-king double beds which can also be twins - and each bedroom has a private bathroom.
- For events and weddings or celebrations why not arrange for a marquee on the pretty, circular lawn for up to 120 guests with space for dancing after dinner.
- You will be greeted with a complimentary welcome pack which includes the essentials and some additional local goodies.
- You can buy supplies from local shops in Dornoch or for a wider selection there are supermarkets in Tain. If required, Tesco can deliver shopping to the house.
- With advance notice it is possible to arrange for breakfast to be cooked for you each morning or to have a local chef come and cook a celebration dinner for those staying.
- There is also a menu of home cooked comfort food available that you can choose and simply pop in the oven.
- In Dornoch there are several places that are popular with guests including the Carnegie Courtroom Restaurant and Luigi's Restaurant.
- Also in Dornoch, Mara at Links House is an incredibly highly rated fine dining restaurant.
- Why not try Bannermans fish shop for local seafood just over the Dornoch Firth in Tain, or Campbells in Golspie?
- Stunning multiple walking routes close by for all abilities; from the golden sands of Dornoch or Embo Beach, to joining the Old Duke of Sutherland at the summit of Ben Bhraggie. Guided walking tours can also be arranged with Adventura Scotland.
- For wildlife watchers there's a lot to see locally from Loch Fleet Nature Reserve to The Dornoch Firth, The Falls of Shin and even the possibility to arrange organised whale and dolphin watching in the Cromarty and Moray Firths.
- With a little notice a ghillie can be arranged; there are many opportunities to fish in the area in the local Lochs, rivers and out to sea.
- Cycling enthusiasts might wish to try some or all of the North Coast 500 route which is a 500 mile circle around the north of Scotland.
- For mountain biking there is the Highland Wildcat Trail at Golspie or the ‘Kyle of Skye' mountain bike trail for a woodland experience.
- Aspen Spa at the Carnegie Courthouse (next to the Jail) is a haven of calm and a perfect retreat after a day on the golf course, or a break from a busy day sightseeing or shopping.
- "Historylinks" (5*) Museum in Dornoch and "Timespan" Museum in Helmsdale will teach you about The Clearances and the burning of the last witch it Scotland.
- Dunrobin Castle in Golspie, built by the notorious Duke of Sutherland.
- Dornoch Cathedral, which dates from the 13th century.
- Culloden - Famous battle site near Inverness airport, and Fort George.
Romance, style and luxury are on offer in this Grade A listed Georgian mansion with whisky bar, games room & golf pitching area; once an ancestral seat of the Clan Gordon, it overlooks the sea - a stunning large country house with 8 acres of private gardens, accommodating up to 16, self-catered or partly-catered. Ideal for large groups, golfers, weddings, retreats, family celebrations and golf breaks near Dornoch Sutherland, Scottish Highlands.
Overlooking the beautiful natural landscapes of the Dornoch Firth and just 2 minutes from the world-famous Royal Dornoch Golf Club, Embo House is a stunning Grade A listed Georgian Mansion available as an ideal base for a Highland golf holiday or as an unforgettable location for a celebratory group holiday. It is also a perfect Scottish wedding venue.
Stay in a Castle of the Clan Gordon
Dating back to the 16th century, Embo House was a Castle of the Clan Gordon which underwent an elegant Georgian era makeover in around 1790. With great care to preserving its past, today an updated Embo House provides luxurious, contemporary accommodation which has received a 5 star rating from the Scottish Tourist Board.
Guests can choose to stay at Embo house on an entirely self-catered basis or arranged to be part-catered for. In the modern, light kitchen you will find everything you need to easily prepare meals for all those staying. There is a large gas cooker with a double oven, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, DAB radio and wall-mounted TV and sound-system. In the centre a solid oak table, useful for when it's a joint effort and there's lots of cooks in the kitchen who need surface space. There's also a small wood burning stove to warm your toes on cold mornings or when returning from an outdoor excursion. From the kitchen French doors lead out to the terrace and barbeque area.
Undoubtedly the grandest room in the house, the dining room is furnished with ruby rich colour schemes featuring a large fireplace, grand silver candelabras and complimented with a beautiful mahogany dining table and chairs seating 16.
The cedar-lined library offers the perfect space to enjoy a book, with seating to accommodate all staying and an area with a table and chairs that is well suited for board games or jigsaws. There is a sound system installed in the library which you can connect to and play your own music and French doors lead out to the terrace and garden. The cosy sitting room has an open fire and is an ideal place to enjoy the views out over Dornoch Firth. The room also has a large smart TV and ample seating for everyone to sit and enjoy a film.
A highlight of the grandeur at Embo house, the Games Room is completed with a fully stocked, walnut topped bar surrounded by bar stools and equipped with a fridge, ice-maker and dishwasher and all you need to make your favourite tipple. There is also a pool table and a TV mounted on the wall that includes access to the Sky sports channels.
Embo House sleeps a maximum of 16 in 8 bedrooms, each having its own private en suite and all bar one enjoying sea views. Each of the bedrooms has been beautifully furnished to a high standard and has a uniquely themed décor, several of the bathrooms feature roll top baths and large drenching showers. Six of the bedrooms can be arranged as super-king double beds or twin beds, one room has a king size bed and one has a double bed. All the bedrooms are completed with hairdryers and bluetooth wireless speakers.
Outside the house is surrounded by 8 acres of private garden which includes a large terrace and barbeque area, a tree house and a stunning glass summer-house. There is also a large laundry and drying room which is perfect for refreshing damp sports equipment and storing golf clubs.
Perfect base for a group holiday
Located on the North East coast of Scotland there are opportunities for golf, fishing and walking along with many other outdoor activities. The hosts are more than happy to assist in arranging guided tours and activities in advance of your arrival - which is a recommended step to take especially in the high season.
Embo House is located between two Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI's) - The Dornoch Firth and Loch Fleet Nature Reserves; the area is home to all kinds of wildlife and attracts many birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts. Dornoch is firmly on the Scotland golfing map and Embo House is the perfect place to stay on a golfing holiday with friends. The Royal Dornoch Championship Golf Course, rated in the World's Top 10, is 2 minutes away from the house. Other courses nearby include Carnegie Links at Skibo Castle, Golspie Golf Club, Tain Golf Club, Brora Golf Club and Castle Stuart Golf Links.
Your dream Scottish Highland Wedding Venue
Embo House is the perfect setting for your wedding in the Scottish Highlands, steeped in history, with an abundance of picture-perfect locations to capture stunning memories of your special day. The house and grounds are available for exclusive hire and offer a romantic setting for a wedding ceremony and/or a reception for up to 120 guests. You can choose to hold your ceremony nearby in the 13th century Dornoch Cathedral, on the beach, on the lawn or in colder weather, the cedar-line library at Embo House offers a more intimate setting. For your wedding reception it is possible to have a marquee on our circular lawn large enough to accommodate up to 120 guests for dinner and dancing.
Embo house provides gorgeously grown-up accommodation for up to 16 guests and the secluded bridal suite in the East Wing comes complete with a jacuzzi bath and tranquil views out to sea.
2020 Low season winter/spring 4th Jan 7 nights £3800, 4 nights £3040 and 3 nights £2660
High season spring/summer/autumn 4th April 7 nights £4250, 4 nights £3400, 3 nights £2957
Low Season autumn/winter 29th Oct 7 nights £3800. 4 nights £3040, 3 nights £2660
Christmas 21/28 Dec £5500
Low season winter/spring 4th Jan 7 nights £4000, 4 nights £3200 and 3 nights £2800
High season spring/summer/autumn 1st April 7 nights £4600 ,4 nights £3680, 3 nights £3220 (Please note July and August 2021 are weekly lets only)
Low Season autumn/winter 4th Nov 7 nights £4000. 4 nights £3200, 3 nights £2600
Christmas 21/28 Dec £5900
"Embo House is a truly fabulous place to stay, we cannot recommend it highly enough. We held our wedding here, it was the perfect setting and we were able to take advantage of the stunning grounds for our photographs. Ginny is so helpful and accommodating and gave us an abundance of information about local amenities and things to do. Embo House is opulent and beautifully decorated with amazing attention to detail whilst at the same time feeling homely and cosy. Everyone loved their bathrooms with the different coloured claw foot baths. It is the perfect venue for a multi generational family holiday or celebration as there is so much space and different living areas to suit everyone. The sea views are amazing, the grounds and gardens are beautiful and it is only a short walk to the beach. Dornoch beach which is only a few minutes away is spectacular. We would definitely return to Embo House and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it"
"We all had the most wonderful time in your beautiful house. Things that stood out for us after staying in a few nice properties were the extras you supplied, tea & coffee, the beautiful jam, cake and bread and washing powder etc, sky TV and 3 TV's. All of these little things make such a difference when you have a real mix of ages, ours went from 13 -76 years the house was also so very well equipped compared to others we stayed in. We cooked most days and it was lovely to have dishes that served all of us. Probably just little things but they do make a stay easier. For a very large property, it was extremely homely and relaxing.
Your communication throughout our booking time was amazing, I always felt I could ask anything, and Victoria, again nothing was ever too much trouble, she is a real asset.
We hope to be back at some point."
"We enjoyed a lovely stay with a group of friends at Embo House in October 2019. The house is home from home, well appointed, and provides a selection of rooms for socialising or for finding somewhere quiet to read the morning papers or a book from the library, and to bask in the warm sunlight streaming through the windows. Our king size bedroom was very comfortable and beautifully decorated, with a large en-suite and walk in shower. We were impressed with all of the guest bedrooms, all which have stunning views of the coastline in the distance. We were very pleased with the standard of cleanliness throughout the property, including a well-appointed kitchen, and a large utility and separate boot room for all our coats, boots, walking shoes, golf clubs! The gardens are also very well kept, and were inviting to explore during the warm Autumn sunshine! We fell in love with Embo House, it's location, and surrounding area which offers something for all! We look forward to visiting again!"
"I can only confirm all the previous positive reviews of this wonderful house. Our group of walkers, cyclists and one fisherman thoroughly loved coming back every day to this cosy, welcoming house which has been decorated to a high standard. Each room had its own charm and the large dining room was great for our evening meal. The views from all the rooms were fabulous, even the one room facing the back of the house. Certainly hope to return as there is still so much to do in the area."
"Embo House garden was the chosen location for our son's wedding ceremony to his Mexican fiancé. The guests from far and wide then settled into the house for a weeks holiday thereafter.
"What a week in this wonderful house and none of us wanted to leave Embo House is truly special and has left many memories with us that we will never forget."