- Grass roofed with traditional stone design inspired by the ancient iron age Brochs.
- Your own private Swedish wood burning hot tub at each Broch.
- Balbinny spa facilities with Jacuzzi, heated pool and mini gym on site for guests use.
- Stunning 180 degree curved panoramic windows.
- Luxury robes for your use during your stay.
- Pocket doors from Lux 11 in Berlin, lighting from Angle poise and Illum Copenhagen, and traditional Scottish pieces such as Anta throws and stags.
- Hidden in a tranquil farm alongside native woodland and jaw dropping scenery towards the Cairngorms.
Good To Know
- Massage facilities available at the on site spa with prior booking.
- Secure parking on site.
- Wi-Fi available in your luxury Broch.
- The pool and spa facilities are open between 8am-9pm and are shared between the Balbinny accommodations.
- Pre-order a supermarket delivery or, more rewardingly, snare a pre-ordered bespoke breakfast box of fresh Scottish produce from The Gourmet Grocery with such delights as Stornoway black pudding, award winning whisky marmalade, lean back bacon, extra large free range eggs etc.
- If you want to explore Scotland's recent craft gin revolution you can pre-book on site gin tastings (minimum number required) at The Gin Bothy.
- Balbinny also provides various hampers supplied by The Gourmet Grocery on request.
- The owners can provide a guide of recommended excellent dining out facilities for guests on request.
- Spa treatments include hot stone therapy, while a tennis court and sports pitch are also on hand.
- Outdoor adventures await on the walking trail Balbinny have mapped out, which leads to the mysterious Aberlemno Pictish stones.
- A golfers paradise - With over 22 golf courses surrounding the area, two of which are open courses situated in St. Andrews and Carnoustie, all within easy driving distance.
- The beach at Lunan Bay offers (booking required) land yachting, beach kayaking, family days and much more.
- Skiing can be reached within an hour at Glenshee in the winter.
- Excellent walking and traditional country pursuits can be enjoyed in the Angus glens.
- Balbinny overlooks the River South Esk, providing excellent salmon and trout fishing.
- Ancient Pictish stones can be found along the footpaths at Balbinny and the ruins of a Roman Fort are within walking distance.
- Visit Glamis Castle, the childhood home of the Queen Mother and the impressive House of Dun can both be reached within 20 minutes.
- Dundee, the ‘city of discovery' with it's impressive industrial history has recently been chosen to host the new V&A Museum.
- Dunnotar Castle can be reached in 40 minutes. Balbinny provides an excellent base to explore the rich history and culture of the North East of Scotland.
- Visit the famed sands of Lunan Bay (18 miles away); Glamis Castle, the Queen Mother's childhood home (13 miles) and Kirriemuir (12 miles).
Luxury lovers will love these two-stone built brochs tucked quietly in the Angus glens with their own Swedish wood burning hot tubs, exclusive Balbinny spa facilities on site and magical views of the Cairngorms.
Lethnot and Esk two stunning ancient broch design hideaways with contemporary finishes throughout.
The stripped-back design was inspired by visits to Copenhagen and there is a cool European sensibility throughout - pocket doors from Lux 11 in Berlin, lighting from Angle poise and Illum Copenhagen, and traditional Scottish pieces such as Anta throws and stags. The latest entertainment is built in with flat-screen TVs, wireless music systems and Wi-Fi.
Your arrival takes you past a little waterfall and down the gravel path, to your broch where you get your first glimpse of the Hobbit styled windows. A Scandi inspired vibe rocking loads of beautifully bare wood, luxury warm throws on the beds, a slate clad walk-in rain shower, a huge tub in one en-suite and underfloor heating throughout complete with white robes for the quickest relax. Gazing out across the landscape in front of your Broch and over the magical Angus glens to the Cairngorm summits on the horizon has a soul soothing effect - you wont want to leave!
Each Broch is nestled at the foot of the wood by the pond, reclaimed stone from the original farm steading and grass roofs blend both houses seamlessly into the country landscape. Inside, modern luxury is contrasted with country Scottish style with large flat screen televisions. Accommodation is provided by two en suite bedrooms, the master bedroom suite features a super king sized bed with upcycled headboards, flat screen television and large rainwater shower. Whereas the second bedroom suite provides either twin beds or an extra king sized bed and a feature bath. The open plan kitchen living area combines wireless Sonos music, oak worktops and wood burning stoves, while still maximising the beautiful view of the Angus glens through large French windows. Each Broch now features a Swedish wood burning hot tub with panoramic views to the Cairngorms. The living and kitchen area has a similar outlook, thanks to the floor to ceiling windows which curve to 180 degrees.
A stunning location
Balbinny lies on a working farm along a winding rural road six miles from the Angus market town of Forfar. A car is essential for exploring local attractions that include the famed sands of Lunan Bay (18 miles away); Glamis Castle, the Queen Mother's childhood home (13 miles); and Kirriemuir (12 miles), the birthplace of Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie and gateway to the renowned walking country of the Angus glens. In addition to the three steadings there are also two ‘brochs' (an ancient Scottish stone fortified dwelling) also featured on Best Scottish Cottages; think countryside chic meets recycled cool - East London relocated to rural Scotland.
Luxury spa facilities on site
For an added piece of indulgence there are also deluxe spa facilities, which can be found hidden away in a stunning farmstead building. As well as an outdoor tennis court, there's a gym, pool, Jacuzzi and spa treatment room. The mini gym boasts a cross-trainer, two exercise bikes, a running machine, kettlebells, weights and table tennis. The pool at Balbinny has sweeping views of the Cairngorms through floor-to-ceiling windows and for a complete relaxation stay you can book a massage with the in-house masseuse. With enormous windows and a magnificent vantage point, it offers 180 degree views of the local countryside. Unwind in the bubbling Jacuzzi or take a dip in the heated indoor pool, before heading to the gym or enjoying a soothing spa treatment.
The area surrounding Balbinny is intensely beautiful and has many interesting sights to discover. The legendary Pictish Stones can be found within walking distance, along with the ruins of a Roman Fort and many well-worn mountain paths. The secluded beaches at Lunan Bay and St Cyrus are also well worth a visit, along with the characterful local towns of Forfar and Brechin. There are golf courses, ski slopes and city sights to uncover, along with all sorts of country pursuits and outdoor activities set in the centre of Angus, Balbinny is situated in rolling farmland between the market towns of Forfar and Brechin, which provide local amenities. Ideally placed to enjoy the beautiful and often deserted beaches at Lunan Bay and St. Cyrus as well as exploring the Angus Glens after which the Brochs and Steadings are named. From Glen Isla in the west to Glen Esk in the east there is much to explore. Further afield, the cities of Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen and St Andrews are all within an hours' drive while the capital Edinburgh, can be reached in an hour and a half.
Rates: Weekly rates from £1000 to £1600 per week
"Fairy tale family stay in the countryside - A wonderful stay in a gorgeous broch. Extremely clean, comfortable accommodation. Fabulous luxury in a wonderful part of the world. Amazing views. A great hot tub with the same perfect views. Use of a pool mostly to ourselves. Lots to do in the area. Perfect walled gardens at Pitmuies Gardens and Dunninald Castle Gardens."
"I visited Balbinny with my wife and kids, the Broch we stayed in is of excellent standard and very equipped with everything you would ever need for your relaxing break. Swedish hot tub is a fantastic addition to the Brochs as well as the highland cows in the fields in front. The views from the swimming pool and jacuzzi is outstanding and have no faults with the place what so ever. Would defo recommend to family & friends and will be back in the future."
"Fantastic - We are just back from staying in the Lethnot Broch, and cannot recommend enough first class accommodation with all mod cons, the views you have to see yourself to believe 10/10 we will be back very soon"
"Balbinny and relax - beautiful place. We were in a Broch which was lovely. Everything you could need had been thought about. Weather was mixed but we made full use of the gorgeous pool which we had to ourselves. Highly recommend Balbinny if you want to escape for a bit and just chill."
"Hobbitesk - Balbinny is a fairy tale. Esk cottage is a hobbit house. A glass tear drop - with a grass roof. Tricked out with tech. Set in JRR Tolkien's Blackroot Vale. Throw in a herd of highland cows. Hobbit television all day long. Imagine."
"The most impressive holiday accommodation ever - We were here with our dog-lady Odette. The most impressive thing of the Balbinny Brochs, is the breath-taking view into the opposite Angus Glens. You awake with this view in the morning and takes it with you, when going to bed. The accommodation is located so that purchases can be done anytime and quickly. Particularly noteworthy is the lovingly designed simple, but exclusive decor that leaves nothing to be desired. Everything is extremely elegant and modern and not overloaded. The SPA area is excellent and a special highlight is the Swedish hot tub in the garden, from where you can enjoy the amazing views. Particularly useful is the small wine fridge in the kitchen bar. Very nice is the large and open shower, which adjoins the master bedroom. Everything is very generous and modern. In the master bedroom, there is an additional TV set, which arouses the desire that the second bedroom would be retrofitted accordingly. The hosts themselves appreciate the privacy of their guests very much and provide at the beginning of a lovingly filled gift basket, which is equipped with fine wine and regional specialties. We definitely plan to come."