- Sleep in one of 5 luxurious 4 poster suites with separate en-suite bathrooms and stand-alone baths.
- Sprawl out in the Alexander Suite two floors of total privacy and your own private fireplace.
- Cosy up in the aptly named Flora's room.
- Gorgeous soft furnishings and beautiful design led wall prints throughout.
- Jaw dropping uninterrupted views of the Trotternish peninsula.
- The doorway bears witness Jacobean clan activity with marks on the stonework alleged to have been made by the MacDonald clansmen sharpening their swords as they left the house to do battle.
Good To Know
- Monkstadt House 1745 is a stand alone luxury property. Close by in a courtyard setting there are 5 additional luxury properties that can be booked individually or together for weddings, family and group bookings.
- Guests benefit from complimentary WiFi and private parking available on site.
- Foodie's will love the gastronomic experiences available during your stay with selection of fresh local food and award-winning restaurants nearby.
- Pets welcome by prior arrangement.
- Often referred to as a ‘chef's paradise' Skye's natural larder has allowed for an array of Michelin Starred restaurants, small locally run cafes, food vans and unbeatable pub dining.
- Book dinner for a special celebration at the world famous Three Chimneys or try the newest foodie destination Edinbane Lodge for exceptional fine dining.
- Kinloch Lodge, home of Lady Claire's cookery books and courses offers delicious local recipes and fresh foraged food. You can also visit her culinary cookware shop and purchase her famous cookbooks to take home with you.
- Scorrybreac, The Old School restaurant, Dulse and Brose, Portree Hotel Cuchullin Restaurant and Sea Breezes are just some of the other place to dine out when staying.
- There's a rich Scottish traditional music in Skye and savour lobster and crab caught by local fisherman.
- Experience the iconic Skeabost Hotel with a couple's game of golf or take afternoon tea at Greshornish Hotel.
- For fresh oysters visit the popularbeside the Talisker distillery, serving fresh, local seafood all day.
- Café Lephin over beside Neist Point offers some delicious home baking and coffee and enjoy a cosy seat by their wood burning stove.
- Skye has so much to offer from the iconic Eilean Donan Castle, Dunvegan castle, Cuillin Range, Fairy Glen, gardens, waterfalls and more.Walk on the Carribean-esque Coral Beach, visit The Old Man of Storr or the vantage points at Kilt Rock and the Mealt Falls.
- You can walk The Quiraing once of Scotland's iconic climbs with a complete hill circuit or take a day trip to Raasay and sample the distillery whisky.
- Visit local exhibitions, studios and galleries galore where you can meet tanners of sheepskins, dyers of wool, weavers and knitters, potters and artists.
- Traditional music can often be heard in local venues and the Gaelic College at Sabhal Mhor Ostaig.
- St Kilda boat trips run trips to the UK's only UNESCO Dual World Heritage Site National Nature Reserve. Departing from April - September from nearby Stein Jetty - a natural & historical adventure of a lifetime.
- Visit local craft shops and sample freshly caught seafood in the many foodie outlets and restaurants on Skye.
- The Giant Angus MacAskill museum is a small, unique place to visit in Dunvegan.
- Skyeskyns at nearby Waternish is Scotland's only traditional exhibition tannery where you can enjoy a tour and browse the high-quality products in the showroom, refreshments are available in the coffee yurt.
Fall wildly in love with Skye, wake-up in the luxury of Monkstadt House 1745 and retrace Bonnie Prince Charlie's steps, leader of the 1745 Jacobite uprising who fled Monkstadt with Flora MacDonald; clan gatherings, history, seafood & relaxation.
A true tale of love and courage.
Monkstadt House 1745 reveals a true tale of love and courage with danger and excitement interwoven with adventure and romance depicted in our Scottish history books. The name Monkstadt is synonomous with the fascinating Monkstadt 1745 a grand estate house in the grounds, on the Isle of Skye. Monkstadt House 1745 was once residence of the Chief of Clan Donald, and recovered from ruin with its walls still standing. The story tells of a courageous Skye woman Flora MacDonald, foster child of Sir Alexander and Lady Margaret, who saved The Young Pretender also known as Bonnie Prince Charlie's life by taking him to Skye from South Uist in a small wooden rowing boat disguised as a servant woman and leading him across the island on his way to the fiercely loyal Clanranalds on the mainland, to Borrodale. Monkstadt House pays homage to that daring escape which led to the Prince's evacuation from the advancing redcoats and you can stay in Monkstadt House 1745, haunt of many celebrated guests, including artists, writers and poets seeking inspiration and wildly beautiful locations for their work. Located on the famous Trotternish Peninsula in the north of Skye you are surrounded by incredible geology, places of interest and historical sites including the Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Lealt Falls and Duntulm Castle and further afield to the Magical Fairy Pools, Cullin Mountain Range, Gaelic College, galleries and craft shops.
Foodies will delight in the Michelin starred restaurants and culinary hotspots such as the infamous Three Chimneys, the celebrated Television personality and food writer Lady Claire MacDonald's Kinloch Lodge, Loch Bay Restaurant in Stein, Stein Inn and many others. Fresh local langoustines, hand dives scallops and fresh rope mussels land daily. Monkstadt 1745 Experience one of Skye's most historic homes in the peaceful setting of the Trotternish Peninsula where Bonnie Prince Charlie came ashore after fleeing Uist in 1746 and hid in a cave only a few hundred yards from the house. Here you will find a luxury estate house fit for a Scottish King with elegant furnishings, refined décor and gorgeous soft furnishings throughout.
Monkstadt House 1745 offers guests 5 stunning suites which include :
Lord MacDonald's Suite - With a king sized, four poster bed, stand-alone bath and lovely views of the Trotternish Peninsula, the perfect place to relax during a romantic getaway.
Lady Margaret Suite - Enjoy this luxurious bedroom suite with king sized, four poster bed. Take a soak in our large stand-alone bath or recline in front of the window and take in the breath-taking views of Skye's surrounding landscape.
Alexander Suite - for something a little grander there's the contemporary Alexander Suite, our largest of suites which is spread over two stunning floors. Cosy up by your own private fireplace in the living room and then retreat upstairs to rest in your luxurious king sized bedroom. The Alexander Suite has its own private garden.
Lt. MacLeod Room - thoughtfully designed guest room on our top floor with a large comfortable bed and spacious private shower room.
Flora's Room - Our charming top floor guest room with king sized bed.
A five-star location!
Monkstadt House 1745 is situated in the township of Kilmuir. It is close to the village of Uig from where the ferry service runs between Skye and the Outer Hebrides.Portree, the main town on the island is 20 miles away with a range of shops, arts centre, restaurants and varied leisure pursuits. At Monkstadt you are within a 15 minute drive of Flora Macdonald's Grave and Skye Museum of Island Life. Head to Fairy Glen, Uig and view theses cone shaped hills which look like a Quiraing landslip in miniature or another viewpoint to take in is Kilt Rock and the Mealt Falls. Duntulm Castle ruins lie in a dramatic landscape although not directly accessible it can be viewed from the beach. You can walk The Quiraing once of Scotland's iconic climbs with a complete hill circuit and stunning walking approx. 6.5km round circuit or hike the Old Man of Storr. Have you heard of Callums Road? A single man's feat to build a road to his house by hand on the Isle of Raasay. A great day trip out and an exciting new distillery with whisky tasting on offer. The majestic Eilean Donan Castle has got to be on your bucket list and is instantly recognisable the world over. If castles are you thing Dunvegan Castle being the oldest and continuously inhabited castle in Scotland is open to the public. Look out for the Fairy Flag and Jacobite relics in the small castle display. Gorgeous well-kept garden grounds are a perfect place to relax. The instagrammable Fairy Pools with aquamarine water and sparkling pools are a definite stop off or head for Armadale Castle and grounds; seat of the Clan MacDonald. Coral Beach just a few miles North of Dunvegan is made from crushed white coral which makes the water look tropical blue when the sun is shining.
Monkstadt House 1745 Luxury self catering can be booked in conjunction with Monkstadt Steadings for larger group bookings. Please contact the owners website link if you are seeking additional properties for your group, listed with Best Scottish Cottages.
From £700 per night. Check in 4pm check out 9.30, Well behaved pets by prior arrangement at time of booking. Sleeps 12 in 5 bedrooms with 1 sofa beds in the living room of the Alexander Suite.
"WOW- this place is amazing. Beautiful home, in a beautiful setting and a really welcoming feel. It is immaculately clean and we absolutely loved our stay. Great value for money, if you where to book here you 100% would not be disappointed"
"An amazing place to stay on the spectacular Isle of Skye. "Beautiful home, with everything you could need. Perfect location for exploring Skye & a beautiful view of the sea."
"Immaculate and clean place in a stunning location. The facilities were very modern and it was great to have a fire place for the evenings."
"Amazing House! We had everything we needed. The cottage is really very beautiful & cosy! We loved it! We highly recommend". The property is in a quiet relaxing location. The property was spotless with stunning views just steps away from the door. Everything is there that require. We would definitely recommend staying here if visiting Skye."
"An excellent house with perfect views. It is warm inside the house and everything is nice. If you want a place with a beautiful sea view, don't miss this nice house."